65

RHOSYN POV

I walked through the front door and had to cover my mouth and nose. The smell of alcohol, weed, cigarettes' and god only knows what else... it's making me sick to my stomach.

I met a girl today... her name was Aelia. She was so nice... and so so pretty. She's the first kid there to actually talk to me and hold a conversation with me. We have AP history together and our science class is together. I feel like I actually have a friend... but it's a friend that I'm also attracted to. I shouldn't get ahead of myself, she'll probably dip like everyone else and start to belittle me like my last and only girlfriend did.

Kendra, she grew up with her parents together. She grew up with money, in a wealthy family. She got everything she wanted, everything she asked for. I never felt 100% around her, almost like I was misplaced or I wasn't really wanted around. I felt like an embarrassment compared to her. Her parents had good jobs, a doctor and a lawyer... they always had family gatherings and fighting was miniscule.

Hell, I remember going to the bathroom one night while I was eating dinner with them and when I went to go back in all I could hear was her parents degrading me. I remember him calling me trash, a gutter rat... a whore, a hoe, dirty. I remember her mom calling me trashy too, called me too ugly for her daughter and that my home life was atrocious... they wanted her to stop seeing me immediately. My jacket was at the table that night and it was too cold to walk home without it... and when I walked back into that room, all of their eyes were on me. I just grabbed my jacket and left, I remember her calling my name out, her parents telling me I misunderstood... but I didn't. I didn't misunderstand them... and for the first time I put me first and left the house.

It wasn't long after that her dad went missing and then six months later the police came knocking on our door and arrested my dad for the murder for her father. They had no evidence, only a feeling and the fact that they told the police that I had been degrading their family. They told them that they thought it was because of me. I don't think my dad did it but I also wouldn't put it past him... I remember telling him all the things they said about me and how angry he got... it was almost scary. Maybe he did do it.... but I really hope not. I hope they convicted him wrongly, I hope he gets let out so everyone who made fun of him, of me.. of my family can feel the shame I felt.

"Rose!" my mom screamed, "come here!" I walked from my room into the living room, she sat on the couch with Gerald. "Get us some beer," she said, "and something to eat." I sighed and immediately regretted it. She walked up to me and before I could process what was happening, her hand was smacking my face. I gasped and covered my hand over myself, quickly opening the fridge and handing her two beers. "Maybe next time you won't give me an attitude," she spat. I felt her spit hit my cheeks, "now make something for us to eat."

I looked around but really all there was... was crackers. There was no food in here, only alcohol and fucking crackers. How shitty is this? I'm so tired of it...and now she's getting handsy with me? Why... I haven't done anything wrong... I just got home from school. Is she going to ask me about it? Probably not. I don't know why I still feel sadness when I literally know what to expect from her.

"Um there- there's no food," I was nervous to even tell her, "what would you like?" Gerald spun around and threw me a $20 bill.

"Go buy us something," he glared. I picked it up off the ground and left the house. I walked down the street into town and walked into the grocery store. I grabbed a couple pizzas, a few canned foods and a small thing of meat. I also grabbed a small bottle of juice that I can just keep in my room, they'll never drink it anyways. I went up to the cashier and put everything on the belt, paid for it and headed out. I started to walk down the street, it was dark now and to be honest it was a bit chilly tonight. The wind was strong.

"Rose?" I heard behind me, "hey!"

Aelia. A smile formed on my face immediately, "oh hey! Hi. What uhm- what are you doing out here this late?"

"I just came on a run," she nodded, "I'm actually headed back home now. What are you doing?"

I held up the bags of groceries, "headed back home now too." By now I was shivering, I didn't think to bring a jacket. I thought I'd be faster than this.

"Do you want me to walk home with you?" she asked.

Yes. "No," I shook my head, "it's okay, it's right down the street here. Thank you though. I'll see you at school tomorrow?"

"Yeah," she smiled, "be safe, hey do you have a phone?" I watched her as she talked with her hands. She was cute.. so pretty.

"I don't," I shook my head, "I'm sorry, I- we can't really-" I'm ashamed of it. I hate not being able to have what others do but I can't do anything to better myself because my mother flat out doesn't let me. I'm 17, I'm still a kid in the eyes of the law...

"It's okay," she smiled, "you have the laptop for school right?"

"In my locker," I looked down. My mom will steal it and sell it for money... but I can't tell her that. "I don't risk bringing it home, bad memory."

"Oh okay," she nodded, "that makes sense, I understand. I'll see you tomorrow, be safe." She started her job again and I just stood there and watched her. I wasn't cold anymore, in fact... I was warm, like cozy warm. I headed back home and put the juice under my window so I could grab it later. I walked into the house and was immediately yelled at.

"Where the hell have you been!" she snapped, "it shouldn't have taken you that fucking long! Slow ass!" She stomped to me, ripped the groceries from my arms which broke handles on the bags and honestly hurt my arms a bit. The items all fell to the ground. "What the fuck!" she yelled, "are you fucking kidding me! You piece of shit! What the hell is wrong with you!" She turned and looked at me. Her face was red and eyes were big.

"I- I- I didn't -" I stuttered but stopped when her hand hit my face again. This time it wasn't an open hand... it was a closed fist and it knocked me to the ground.

"Kate!" Gerald snapped, "Kate what the hell is wrong with you!"

"That stupid little bitch deserves it!" she screamed, "you're just a dumb negro! I'm over you! Get out of my fucking house! Get out! Get out get out!!" I quickly made my way to my feet and ran out the front door. I could hear her and Gerald bickering back and forth from outside... please tell me I left my window unlocked. I ran over to the side of the house and slid my window up slowly. I jumped up and quietly pulled myself into my room. I grabbed my book bag and set it outside my window, I also packed a bag of clothes in case she comes in here in the middle of the night. I also grabbed the necklace of bells that I made years ago and put it on my door again, it's been a long time since I've had to do this... I wish I wasn't having to. In case you're wondering, it's so if someone turns the door knob and walks into the room I'll hear it and wake up. I made it when I was 12, used it real often then.

I walked over and laid down in bed. I was scared to be honest, I just don't want to sleep outside tonight. It's only like 55 out there... that's cold for me, 70 is cold for me. Hopefully she doesn't come in here... hopefully I can just be up and out the window for school before they notice. Am I really that bad? Was it my fault the bags broke? I mean... I could have helped her take them off or even took them off before she got to me...

Maybe she's right afterall. I don't know anymore.