Chapter 12: The Island Challenge

What up! I'm here with another chapter for you all to enjoy! For a while I was debating weather to follow the layout of the anime or the games or even try to do something original. In the end, I decided to try all of those things. So this is basically what I'm thinking: Ash and Serena will travel to each island and Ash will do the trials and Grand Trials, then they'll take a short break after each island is done and spend a little time at the Pokemon School before moving on to the next island. I finally had an idea for what Serena could do during Alola other than just be Ash's cheerleader, but I'm not gonna spoil too much. I also have other huge plans for Serena's character, one I've already set up in a previous chapter, and another that I'm super excited to write about, but that won't be happening for a while. However, one thing I might spoil, is there will be chapters in this story that deal with very serious issues, which I want to do to further Ash's and Serena's development in life. But for the time being, this will still be a more upbeat story with some drama and humor mixed in...and swearing but you know what's a good story without a little bit of that right? Anyway, sorry for the long A/N intro, onto the next chapter!

The sun was slowly making its presence known over Alola. The Kukui household was slowly getting brighter, thanks to the open windows. To make matters worse, one window just happened to be right above a loft containing a few couples still asleep. Ash and Serena were still asleep, Serena practically clinging to Ash, the latter lightly snoring. Over in the corner Pikachu and Sylveon were sound asleep, Pikachu laying on his back with his body completely stretched out, Sylveon practically laying on top of him. Delphox was hugging Greninja as they both slept soundly. Rotom was still motionless on the surface it was laying on. Rowlet was snoring with the same air bubble escaping his nostril. Popplio's eyes started to twitch, and she slowly started to open them. She started to move her head but stopped when she felt something soft against her. She looked up and saw Rowlet practically snuggled up against her. Her hold body started to shake and grow red. She suddenly lost her balance and accidentally landed on Pikachu. Upon contact, Pikachu let out a Thunderbolt that enveloped the whole loft area, waking everyone up as they all cried out at the sudden pain. Once the smoke cleared, everyone was covered in soot.

"Pikachu...why'd you do that..." Ash asked weakly.

Pikachu tried to say it wasn't on purpose and that something hit him, the last part catching Sylveon's attention. She of course went on high alert but knew she could crush who ever would dare hit her boyfriend.

"I guess we should...get up now..." Serena said.

The others groaned but agreed. Popplio was feeling really guilty, which Rowlet of all of them picked up on. As everyone started to get ready, Kukui had already left and Burnet was in the kitchen making her guests breakfast. They all sat down and ate their food. Popplio, while still eating, still had that sad look on her face from earlier. Rowlet had already finished his breakfast and decided to approach her.

"Hey Popplio, what's wrong?" Rowlet asked. 

Popplio looked up and saw Rowlet looking at her. She blushed hard and looked away.

"N-N-Nothing! Nothing's w-wrong!" She said.

Rowlet titled his head in confusion, but just decided to leave it be for now. He flew away and landed on Ash's head. Popplio exhaled as he flew away, unaware that Delphox had watched the whole exchange, a smirk plastered on her face. Greninja looked at her with interest.

"What's wrong?"

Delphox turned to her mate. "Oh nothing" she said with a smile.

As the humans finished up eating, Ash stood up and stretched his arms out.

"Man that was good! You're a good cook Professor Burnet."