Chapter 57: Alola League Part VII - Rise

Hello all! Welcome to the final chapter of the Alola League as well as the last major story arc of Alola! This will be Serena taking on Tapu Lele. I'll talk more about the next few chapters after this one. So go enjoy yourselves with the finale of the Alola League!

Serena gulped again as her hands shook. This was the most nervous she has ever been, even more than her first showcase. But she had to do this, not just for Ash, but for herself. Despite her nervousness, she felt more determined than ever, even if it didn't look that way. Her eyes locked with Delphox's. She had been staring at her with the same confident eyes that she's always had. This made Serena remember their conversation earlier.

*10 minutes earlier*

Serena walked into a locker room as Delphox followed her.

"Pretty exciting isn't it? We can finally show all of them what we can do!" Delphox said with excitement.

"Yeah..." Serena said in a loud whisper.

Delphox could sense her fear.

"Serena, I know you're nervous, but don't let it consume you."

"I-I know I shouldn't...but I'm nervous I'll fail again, and let everyone down..." Serena said as her voice stammered.

Delphox went up to Serena and hugged her from behind, surprising Serena.

"Serena...you haven't failed, and you've never let anyone down. I know Ash would never see it that way."

"...it's not about Ash..." Serena said.

Delphox let go. "Huh?"

Serena turned around. Her eyes were hidden behind her hair.

"It's not Ash that I'm scared of failing or letting down..."

"It's not? Then who is it?"

Serena revealed her face, showing the tears coming down from her eyes. This sight immediately broke Delphox's heart.

"It's you...!"

Delphox was beyond shocked. She couldn't formulate any words. Serena looked down again.

"All my life I've had to struggle through things. I didn't have any friends when I was little, I was always picked on, and my mom always forced me to do those stupid Ryhorn Racing lessons! It didn't help that my dad was never around, but even though my mom was still there and she loved me, I still felt so alone and miserable...just a weak, pathetic girl that will never amount to anything in life...! I had wished I was strong over and over, so I could finally make all those bullies eat shit for what they always said...but I—"

Delphox couldn't take anymore. She pulled Serena into a tight hug. Serena felt tears falling onto her shoulder. She looked up and saw Delphox crying.

"Stop it...I can't hear anymore...!"

Serena stared at her partner with shock.

"How are you some weak pathetic girl?! That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard! You were never weak Serena, even back then! And you know why? Because you've got more heart and determination than anyone else! I want to hunt those brats down myself for saying stuff like that! I won't let anyone who hurt my Serena go unpunished! I'll make them eat shit myself!" Delphox said.

"Delphox..." was all Serena said. She then engulfed her in a tight hug. "Sometimes I wonder if I truly deserve to have you as my partner..."

Delphox was confused by this. "What do you mean?"

"You're just so amazing and kind and strong, not to mention beautiful, and you willingly risk your own life just to protect me...honestly what did I even do to deserve you...!"