Chapter 46: Helping the Broken

Hello again! I'm finally writing a new chapter! The events of the previous arc had me a little drained. But, y'know, those chapters were probably the most intense pieces of writing I've probably ever written. There were things that I forgot to mention in the previous chapter, so I'll be sure to address them here. The next few chapters will be mostly comfort focused, with some drama mixed in. I know I said in the previous chapter that the dark elements of this story will slowly be transitioned out, which is true, but that doesn't mean it'll happen instantly, so expect them to still show up every now and then. Anyways, I hope you'll enjoy the next chapter!

A loud gasp erupted as Ash's head shot up. He started to breathe heavily as sweat ran down his face. He looked around, noticing he was still in his hospital bed. He sighed. He looked down at his arms, which were shaking. His left arm had a few bandages on it, however his right arm had a cast up to the end of his elbow. Although not noticing right away due to everything that was happening at the time, he had suffered 2nd degree burns on his right arm, a couple being 3rd degree. He was told he'll have permanent scars on his right arm.

Ash decided to get up to get some fresh air. He quietly exited his room and walked down the barely lit hallway. He passed by a couple rooms along the way. He stealthily peaked in to the first one.

He saw his girlfriend sleeping on her back. He could still make out the cast covering Serena's left arm. Like Ash, she had also suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns, and will also have permanent scars. However, to Serena, she had lost something even more important to her than anything else.

Her blue ribbon was gone.

When they performed Amoura Sphere, they were unknowingly sacrificing Serena's ribbon. When she found that out, she finally broke. Her most precious item, the thing she always kept closest to her, something that gave her the strength to keep fighting, was now gone forever.

Ash decided to let her be. He checked the next room, which contained his starter, who still had not woken up yet. He winced as he continued to walk.

He glanced at another nearby room which housed his brother. Like Pikachu, Greninja had also not woken up yet, nor showed any signs of waking up any time soon.

Ash continued his walk, a few tears coming down his cheeks.

'It's been two days...why aren't they waking up...?' He thought.

Ash entered a small room that contained a few vending machines. He pressed a few buttons and a water bottle was dispensed. He reached for it and held it up with his only usable hand. He briefly struggled to open it, his still shaking arm not helping.

"Bottoms up" he whispered.

He took a sip, almost loosing his grip thanks to all the shaking. After a sip, he continued to hold up the bottle, which was shaking enough for water to escape and splash onto his shirt.

Ash stood in the middle of the room motionless.

"I'll live on...in your nightmares...!"

His father's last words haunted him. He had barely slept at all the past couple days, and every time he did he'd have a horrible nightmare. A therapist met with him yesterday, and she had diagnosed him with PTSD. Ash started to silently cry. His thoughts then brought him back to his mother's death. He continued to blame himself for everything that had happened. And despite their best efforts to comfort him, Ash has remained relatively distant from almost everybody.

After finishing his drink, he slowly made his way back to his room. He laid back down on his bed, but sleep wasn't coming.

The next morning arrived and the doctors met with Ash and Serena. They informed them that they could be discharged in a couple more days. Serena entered the patient only cafeteria but didn't see Ash. She decided to grab some food and eat with Ash in his room. Once gathering enough food, she made her way to Ash's room. The door was closed and when Serena tried to open it she saw that it was locked.