Chapter 25: Parent & Child, Partners & Sisters

Hello everyone! I'm back with the next chapter of Our Promise, Our Future! After some inspiration from a new show I've been watching, I've decided to make this chapter a little different, and by that I mean this chapter will be very tragic, and may make some of you slightly uncomfortable. I did say I wanted to slowly transition this story into a more mature one, but that doesn't mean it won't still have the occasional funny and heartwarming moments. I also wanted to explore this particular character more and finally write a backstory for them. So without further adew, enjoy the chapter (and maybe get a box of tissues depending on how sensitive you are).

The sun was finally out again, which meant Ash could finally start training again. After the reactions to his newest capture, everyone was starting to get a bad feeling that something bad was going to happen soon. They all tried to push that thought to the back of their minds.

Ash and Serena were outside, the latter watching the former train. Serena's Pokémon were deciding what to do with themselves, since Serena didn't give them any orders. Delphox decided to spar with Greninja, her believing it to be a way for them to get...closer. Sylveon was checking on the flower garden she helped plant with Serena and Burnet. Pancham was doing an exercise of some kind. Popplio was laying on her back, releasing water bubbles from her nose as she appeared lost in thought.

'I don't like this...why can't I get it out of my head?'

She turned her head to the side to see Dartrix working hard. Ever since he evolved Dartrix has been sleeping less and training harder, Albeit with a slight attitude. Popplio turned her head back towards the sky.

'He continues to work harder to achieve his goals, not having any more room for anything else....that's why I...'

Memories flashed in her mind. All the instances of her blushing around Rowlet and getting flustered whenever he spoke to her, which caused her to trip up in her performance practices, overtook her mind. Popplio got up and faced the ocean. She closed her eyes for a few seconds. She opened them and glanced at Dartrix once more.

'I'm gonna put these feelings away, and do all I can to grow stronger too.'

She looked back at the ocean with new determination. Suddenly a blue light enveloped her entire body. Everyone stopped what they were doing and made their way towards Popplio.

"Popplio is..." Ash started.

"...Evolving!" Serena finished.

The light faded as a new Pokémon appeared. Rotom flew over a took some pictures.

"Brionne. The Pop Star Pokémon. A Water Type. A skillful dancer, it creates a sequence of water balloons as it dances, and briskly bombards it's enemies."

"That's awesome Brionne! I'm so happy for you" Serena said with excitement.

Brionne responded with a smile. She was soon showered with congrats from her teammates as well as Ash's.

During all of this, Vulpix was sound asleep inside the house, Kukui and Burnet watching over her. Serena had put her down for a nap after feeding her some food she had made just for her. Burnet watched her with hearts in her eyes.

"She's so precious! And soooo cute!"

Kukui, although agreeing with her, sweatdropped at her enthusiasm.

"True. Serena is raising her well. I wouldn't be surprised if Vulpix has already labeled Serena as her mother."

Burnet nodded. "And I'm pretty sure Serena sees Vulpix as more than just her Pokémon too."

Kukui suddenly had a thought. "Come to think of it, I don't remember how the two met."

"Now that you mention it, I don't remember either" Burnet said.