Chapter 1

"Rosemarie Elizabeth, come put your shoes on or you're gonna be late for the bus!" Mom yells at me from the stairs. I run down the wooden steps and right past her. I throw on my sneakers and I'm out the door in seconds... it was record time I would say.

I get on the quiet bus, the only sound is from the popular boy sleeping in the back. The loudness of his snoring wouldn't be very good for his "reputation".

At least I don't have a reputation that could be ruined.

I sit down in one of the middle row seats, not too close to the driver and not too close to the snorer in the back. I take out my earbuds and play some music to drown everything out.

I open my phone and see a text from my best friend, Caroline.

From Caroline: are you still coming with me to that party tonight? also, did you ask lucas if he was going because it all depends on what time I leave my house.

I know I said I didn't have a reputation, but I'm still well known. I'm a very big party person, invite me to any party and I'll make sure to be there. Caroline on the other hand is a very shy person, but enjoys the thrill of parties as she likes to call it.

I didn't ask Lucas if he was going yet. Not because I don't want him to go, but because I know he already got invited. I would say he's popular, but he says he isn't (he knows I'm right, but just doesn't want to admit it).

Lucas is my boyfriend of five years. We first met in 5th grade. Mr. Donnie sat us next to each other and we started became friends. In 6th grade, he asked me out, I said yes, and we've been together ever since.

My thinking gets stopped when I hear the bus doors open. I grab my bag and head into the building. As I'm walking, I see Lucas walking towards me. His dirty blond hair is messy like always and I can see his beautiful light green eyes from here. He's wearing a basic t-shirt that I got him for Christmas last year, a pair of old black sweats, and his new sneakers.

When he reaches me, he puts his arm around me and we walk down the halls. We don't say a word until we reach my locker. "I love your outfit babe, you look so beautiful."

I look down at my outfit. I'm wearing a purple cropped shirt, a pair of light washed ripped jeans, and my white sneakers. Nothing too special.

"Thanks babe." I say as he bends down and gives me a kiss on the forehead. "I forgot to ask you, are you going to Jake's party tonight? Caroline can pick us up and drop us off whenever."

He stares at me, like he's not too sure what to say. It's unlike him to be at a loss for words. "I don't know Rose, I have some family things to do. I'm sure I could get those out of the way before the party." He starts tapping his foot repeatedly on the hard ground. "What time is it?"

"It starts at eight, but Caroline will pick us up at seven-thirty." He stares down at his feet, which makes my stomach turn into a mess. "Is everything okay, Lucas?"

"Yeah, sorry. I'll be there." He gives me a wink and we walk off to first period. I brush of the awkwardness, if something was wrong he would tell me, right?

"Is something wrong?" I finally ask because I can't hold it in anymore. 

"No, I promise you." He replies and I believe him.

I always will.

"Are you almost ready? Caroline's going to be here in five minuets!" Lucas yells from downstairs.

"Yes, I'm just putting on shoes!" I finish putting on the last shoe and look at myself in my body length mirror. My red sparkly top is just covering enough to be considered "appropriate", I have my favorite black jeans on and favorite party shoes, and my dark brown hair is curled and pull back into a ponytail.

I look pretty good.

I head down the stairs and see my boyfriend standing by the island, talking to mom. Now that I think about it, it's weird that I've never met his parents for all of these years we've been dating... it's whatever for now. Maybe he's not ready? Five years seems like a long ass time though.

His head turns my way once he hears the step creek and he makes his way to me. "You look hot." He kisses me.

I see my mother smiling. Her perfect teeth are showing and everything about her looks so put together. Her hazel colored hair looks shiny and her pajamas look comfy as hell. I've always admired her and always will.

Lucas grabs my hand as I say goodbye to mom. Caroline is waiting in my driveway for us, she must've been there for a good few minuets because the annoyed look on her face says it all. Lucas opens the door for me and I get in, him trailing behind me. Caroline whips her head back to us. "What took you two idiots so damn long?"

"I needed to go through a few outfit changes, which took up a good twenty minuets of my time. So it's my fault." I explain to her as she looks back ahead.

"It's fine, I just want to get my party on. It's been way too long since I've let myself loose."

I roll my eyes at her comment. "Girl, we were both at the same party last weekend and I can tell you that you got real loose."

"It doesn't count if you don't remember it."

I laugh, "Oh yeah? Who told you that?"

"I saw it on my Pinterest a few nights ago, it really inspired me." She explains as I look over to Lucas who's trying to contain his laughter. I smack him on the arm and shake my head, trying not to laugh as well.

Once we finally find parking, we all jump out the car and make our way towards the house. "Looks like the whole countries' here." Caroline jokes. She's right, this place looks more packed than usual. These parties are only for Juniors and Seniors, but I'm surprised there are this many. It's never this packed.

Lucas opens the gate for us and we walk into the backyard. All of the senior boys are hanging out by the pool, while the girls are sitting and chatting with red solo cups in their manicured hands. I look to my right to see that Caroline was already gone, but Lucas was still besides me talking to his friend.

"I'm gonna get a drink, you want anything?" I asked him, but he shook his head and I headed off inside. I found Caroline at the counter, pouring herself a sprite. "Really? A sprite? I thought you wanted to get loose?!"

She rolls her eyes at me. "Rosemarie, of course I'm not drinking plain sprite. There's alcohol in it silly."

I look at her dead in the eyes. "Don't call me Rosemarie and I should've known you're not that insane. Try to stay a little sober tonight please? I can't be having you throw up all night again." I've always hated being called Rosemarie. Nobody can call me that accept for mom because I can't tell her no for obvious reasons. I've also always hated my name and I think that Rose suits me better.

"I know, it wasn't good for the both of us, but I have to live a little tonight. I'll catch you later, Rose." She says as she walks out of the kitchen and outside with the majority of the people.

I look back down to the options in front of me and go with the most simple thing I can think of. I want to be able to care for Caroline if she gets sick, which will most likely happen.

I finish pouring my drink as I head to the sliding glass door, but that's when I stop. I hear the sound of stairs creaking and my head turns to the noise.

A girl's walking down. She's wearing black leggings, a Rolling Stones t-shirt, and a pair of red converse. Her hair is honey blond with waves. She starts to make her way down the stairs as I stare at her.

What's wrong with me? I have a boyfriend, I don't know what's going on with me right now.

But she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and-

"Girl, come on! They're playing our favorite song!" Caroline screams as she grabs my hand and honestly, I don't even know where she came from.

I take a quick glance behind me and smile at the girl before running off with Caroline for the rest of the night.