Chapter 25

I've been waking up every hour, sweating and shaking. It's been the absolute worst night of my life.

As I become aware of my surroundings, I feel like Harper isn't next to me.

Last night, Harper drove my dad and I home as Caroline went back to her house. Once we got inside, Harper insisted to start a bath for me. Once I got out, I realized she had tidied up the house for us. Around 10, I had become tired. Harper and I didn't talk much that night but I thanked her a few times for staying, to which she responded "it's my promise."
Harper also had insisted that she slept in the spare room because I might of needed more space. I begged her to stay in my room, I didn't want to sleep alone and I needed her touch. I said that I didn't need space from her anymore and that we'll talk about it later.

We feel asleep cuddling as close as we could get, but now she's gone. My heart starts to race. "Harper?" I whisper. There's no response and water fills my eyes.

I can't loose another person.

I slip out of bed and walk downstairs to find her leaning against the counter drinking a glass of water. The lights are dim, making her look good.

"Rose? What are you doing up?" She says, as I walk closer. "Your eyes are glossy, love."

"I was scared when you weren't next to me. I was nervous you left me or something and- I can't lose someone else." I explain as I stand next to her, against the counter.

She wraps her hand around my hip, turning me around, and into her body. Her sweatshirt embraces me. "I would never leave you."

That reminds me all over again that I left her. the air in my lungs sting me a little, but I know she doesn't mean it in that way.

"Thanks Harper." I whisper into the light green sweatshirt.

I feel her nod. "Do you wanna go back-"

"No." I push myself farther into her. "I just wanna stay like this for a little... please."

"Anything for you, pretty." She rubs my back as I feel myself slowly falling asleep, standing in her arms.

The next thing I know is I'm being lifted up. I wrap my legs around her waist as she carries me up the stairs. "I like you like this, baby." She whispers, probably thinking I'm asleep.

She gently puts me under the blankets. Then she slowly makes her way over to the other side, nuzzling her face into my neck instantly.

Everything seems at peace.

I wake up just like how I fell asleep. Her arm is around my waist and her face is in my neck.

It's perfect.

I lay there, not ready for the day ahead. I'm not doing anything, even though Harper will probably try to get me out the house, but it's the first full day without mom. The thought of that alone makes me sick.

"Rose? Are you up?" Her soft morning voice fills the air and I feel warm again.

"Yeah." I say as she puts her face back in the crook of my neck. "I like laying like this."

She laughs a little and it sends vibrations through my body. "Me too, it feels comforting." The air gets thick as I believe we both start to think about what happened between us 3 days ago. "We'll talk about us later, for now I want to stay like this and enjoy being close to you. Is that okay?"

"It's more then okay." I whisper as she moves her body closer to mine. Even though she seems to be the more dominant one between the two of us, I like holding her like this.
We lay there for about ten more minutes before I feel the need to get up. "I gotta get up."