Chapter 29

Life is crazy. You think you know someone one second and the next they're telling you a big secret.

I'm currently sitting in the cafe with Caroline. She asked me if I wanted to get coffee after school because she has something to tell me. Something that she's been keeping from me.

I was worrying about it all basically day because she always tells me everything. Everything. So, the fact that she didn't tell me something kinda took me by surprise.

"Here," she says, hanging me my coffee and taking a seat across from me. "I hope you're not mad."

"I have nothing to be mad about... yet. Caroline please just tell me, I've been worrying about it all day." I plead.

"Yeah, sorry about leaving you with information like that." She smiles. "I'm nervous!"

I laugh. "Caroline, there's nothing to be nervous about! We're best friends!" In this moment, I'm nauseous as fuck and all of the worst possible things are going through my head and I'm literally-

"Jackson Mandy asked me to be his girlfriend." Her eyes light up and mine go dull.

Jackson Mandy, the boy who gets drunk every night and high everyday in the school bathrooms in between periods. He's known as "the crossed Jack" because he's a jackass and it's his name, but just shortened.

Every time he goes to parties, he loves to post videos of him absolutely wasted. Like so drunk that I'm even surprised that he knows how to still work a phone.

He's always drunk... I would only know because he personally likes to send my videos of him wasted. I never respond because that's weird.

Not only that, but he smokes in the bathrooms. Every. Period. Sometimes he'll leave class, not return for twenty mins, and when he gets back his eyes are all red. I'm sure the teachers have caught on, but just haven't said anything.

Other than all of that, he's a nice kid. I've talked to him a few times at school... and at parties, and he's a nice to talk to. He's super chill.

The only thing that worries me is the whole drinking and smoking thing. You see, one of Caroline's biggest turn offs is smoking, so this makes me quite surprised. Personally, I don't mind what people do what there lives, but I'm just watching out for Caroline's.

"Babes, you know he's smoker. Right?" I just gotta clear the air in case she doesn't know. To be honest, I don't know how she wouldn't know.

I don't know how anyone wouldn't know.

She shrugs. "Yeah, but I don't care because he's hot. Smoking hot." I cringe, was she trying to be corny there?

"What did you say?"

"Well, I thought I'd talk to you about it first."

I laugh. "Caroline, what do you wanna do?"

"I wanna say yes!" Her eyes light up.

"Then say yes!" Honestly, I don't know how I feel about this, but if she's happy then I'm happy.

She takes out her phone and instantly starts texting. "I sent it! Oh my God! I'm gonna throw up!"

"You'll be fine." I smile at her.

"Maybe we can go on double dates!" Shit.

I gives her a sorrowful look. "I don't know, Caroline. I mean, no body at the school knows I'm dating Harper. Too be honest, I really don't want people knowing. I like this private thing." She looks down. "Let me talk to her and I'll get back to you?"