Chapter 7

Her hands are still on my waist as I look into her eyes.

This all feels like a fucking dream.

"Yeah, that was it. Thanks Harper." I say, trying not to sound so nervous. She hands me the book and backs away. She removes her hand from my waist, but the feeling lingers. She crosses her arms and puts her back on the shelf, relaxing. "What are you doing here?"

"I came here to get a book for school. I almost didn't come... but I'm glad I did." She gives that awfully hot smirk. "So, are you coming to the party this Friday?"

"No, I can't." I say, curious why she wants to know.

"Oh, really? My brother was talking about how this is going to be the best party ever. I thought you were going with him."

"No, I'm going up to the mountains. My parents and I go every year."

A small smile tugs at her lips. "That's nice. So, when are you coming over next?"

I laugh, "Whenever your brother invites me."

"I'll make sure he invites you soon, then." She says, as I look down. "What's wrong?"

I shoot my head up, "Nothing." That's a lie. The problem is, what if he thinks it's weird if he finds Harper and I hanging out? I mean, yeah sure I find his sister attractive, but that's all. Will he get the wrong idea? Or think something else?

"If you're worried about my brother, don't. I mean, he will just think you and I are... friends. He won't suspect shit."

Friends.

"Ya know what, I know I told you to come into my room the next time you're over. Don't worry about it if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I know you love my idiotic brother a lot, so I wouldn't want to mess anything up. Ever." She smiles and starts to turn around to walk away. I leap and grab her arm, making her turn towards me.

"Harper, can I talk to you for a minuet?" She nods at me and we make our way over to a table in the corner.

"What's up?" She raises her eyebrows and my palms start to sweat. I forget she's technically my boyfriends sister, so asking her this makes me feel weird.

"Have you noticed your brother acting... weird recently." I start to rub my palms with my thumb, hoping that would calm my nerves. I notice her slight adjustment in her seat as she looks into my damn soul.

"What do you mean?"

"Like, this morning his nose and under eyes were red. We claimed it hurt, but I think it was eye shadow. I also feel like hes been lying to me about what he's been doing and shit. I'm worried." Tears threaten to come into my eyes and fall, but I push them away. I don't want to cry in front of her.

She sighs, "I really haven't noticed. I don't usually see him in the mornings. Well, I try to see him as less as possible." We both laugh a little at her comment. "It's true I-" She gets cut off by her phone ringing. "Yes? Okay. I know. I'll be out in a minuet you bitch."

"Who was that?" I question as she rolls her eyes and stands up.

"You're stupid boyfriend. Would you like to come say hi to him? I don't blame you if-"

I cut her off, "I'll say a quick hello." We both make our way to the front, but I place my book on the counter as Cynthia nods at me. We walk out and I see him. He's on the phone, but doesn't see us.

Harper turns to me, "Go say hi. I'll see you soon hopefully." She smiles as I make my way to the driver side window. I knock and he looks up, petrified.