Chapter 14

I really don't want to be here. Like really don't want to be here.

I'm at my locker... it's seven in the morning and I feel like I just rose from the dead. I'm grabbing my books that I didn't need last night and shoving them into my bag.

"Hey, pretty lady." I hear Lucas say to me.

"Hey, what's up?" I know I sound pissed.

He raises his eyebrows. "What's wrong with you?"

"I feel like the walking dead." He starts to laugh at my comment, I didn't find my misery very funny.

"Anyways, watcha doin' after school?" He grabs onto the straps of his bag like he's a kindergartener waiting for the bus in anticipation.

"I was just gonna go to the library for a few hours, why?" I close my locker and we start to walk side by side down the halls.

He smiles over at me. "Well... I was wondering if you wanted to, um, go do something."

I smile. "Are you alright? You've been very eager to hang out a lot recently, which is new."

"What?" He gasps in exaggeration. "I can't spend time with my girl?"

I hold my hands up in defense. "No no, of course you can. Just text me by the end of the day and let me know."

"Sounds good." He kisses me before walking off.

"What's up with bitches and PDA these days?" I hear Caroline's voice say from behind me. I turn around and she's shaking her head, smiling.

I laugh. "Shut up." She walks next to me as we talk about the day. "So, what are your plans for today?"

"Not much expect Lucas asked me to hang out." She raises an eyebrow at me. "What?"

"I bet you're hoping you hang at his house." She says and I smile.

"I guess I got my fingers crossed for that." I say as we reach the classroom. "We still have five minutes... what do-"

"Rose!" Someone yells my name... I know that voice. "I never see you in school!"

"Oh, hey. What's up?" I ask her and all I want to do is punch her and then myself.

"I was thinking that maybe we could hang out soon! What are you doing later?" She says and I stare at her with an open mouth.

No way she's being for real.

"Lilah, why would we hang out after all these years?"

"Because I want to be friends again. Again, what are you doing later?" Her tone gets more angry as she says that last part.

I sigh. "I'm hanging out with my boyfriend."

Her eyes light up and I get angry. "Oh! Lucas right?! Well, maybe I can join!"

"Absolutely not gonna happen."

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes and walks away.

"The fuck is her problem?! I was about to jump in and say something, but she left too quickly." Caroline says.

"She pisses me off so much." I say and head into my class.

Schools finally over and I don't think I can get out of here fast enough.

Except Caroline always has to hold me up.

"I know! Well, text me and maybe we can pick out a dress for your party. See you tomorrow!" She says to this girl who I've never seen before.