Chapter 26

I talked to my father a little bit last night about mom and the funeral and stuff. He said he wasn't too sure if he wanted to have one for her. My mom wasn't someone who liked attention, she liked to lay low, and just do her own thing. She had plenty of friends and people around her to socialize with, but she chose not to.

The thing my dad kept saying to me, which keeps playing in my head is, "do you think she would want one?" It's a hard question to ask and answer because we don't know what she would say... we can't ask her. I told him I didn't know and that we should do what we think is best, maybe that's what she wants. Dad and I talked about mom for a few hours before Harper came back. We sat down and I ended up explaining the whole Harper situation to him, with her sitting there. He was very excited and compassionate towards how we feel about each other. He said she can stay over anytime and stuff like that. I told dad I was bi, he had the same reaction as mom, which warmed my heart. Dad ended up saying he was going to watch a comedy movie, to cope I guess, and that we can do whatever we wanted.

Harper and I went up into my room and talked about what just happened and what she did while she was out. We ended up chilling in my bed for the rest of the afternoon. We cuddled and took a few naps. It was hard not to think about mom and how her presence wasn't around the house anymore, but I pushed back the thoughts. Obviously I'm going to think about her, but I didn't wanna be sad in the moment. I've cried enough.

Harper ended up leaving late last night and I fell right to sleep.

It's now the next morning, Saturday.

I haven't been in school the past few days, but I don't really care. There's no way I can sit at a desk for 7 hours and not cry.

Today, Harper and I are supposed to go out and do something together. I think it'll be nice to get out of the house for a little and spend time with her. Hopefully to get my mind off of things and do something enjoyable.

I get out of bed and head downstairs. I can smell what dad's making before I even see it. Toast.

"Morning, dad." I greet him as I sit on one of the island stools.

He looks up at me and smiles. "Morning Rose. How are you doing?"

"Could be better." How else am I gonna answer that without going into full detail?

"Got any plans for today?"

"Yeah, Harper and I are going to go out. Do you wanna come? Do you need anything while we're out?"

"No and no. I'm fine, honey. You guys have fun."

The question is burning inside me and I have to make sure. "Do you actually like Harper?"

He shoots me a sincere look. "How could I not? She cleaned our house, helped us out, and I can see how much you guys love each other." I smile at him. "Are you guys dating?"

"No, not yet. I took a little break from her actually because I needed space. It felt wrong to like her like this. We're all good now, but she's not my girlfriend."

"I'm sure the time will come soon. When it does, i'll be there cheering you on." He says and my heart melts. I walk over to him and hug him, thanking him for understanding. "I'll always understand you, you're my daughter. As long as you're happy, I'm happy. I like her way better than Lucas."

I laugh. "You and me both."

"You two have fun!" Dad exclaims as Harper and I leave the house. It's very chilly out so I'm wearing a brown long sleeve shirt, black flair leggings, and my white sneakers. Harper is wearing a long sleeve black shirt with a t-shirt over it that says some band name and their concert dates on the back (it's kinda cute), with jeans, and sneakers.