Chapter 23

To say that I miss her would be an understatement.

I've thought about her every second for the past day.

It's now Thursday...

I haven't seen Lucas in school (thank God). My life feels off, but I know it's what I need to do for myself and my mental health.

Between this and the thing with mom being sick, I feel unlike myself. Caroline told me that I should talk to Harper. I can't. She's probably pissed at me and doesn't want to see me.

I still need more time.

This time away was supposed to be helping me, not destroying me and make me feel like a lost puppy who's trying to find its way home... but I left my home to work on myself.

I do wonder if we're ever going to be the same, if not then I'll just have to live with this guilt for the rest of my damn life.

I'm currently sitting in my room, staring at the ceiling. I want to cry, but I'm not going to.

"Rose? Can I come in?" I hear my mom say on the other side.

"Sure." I sit up, moving towards my head board.

Mom walks in, slowly. I can tell she's in really bad pain. She ends up sitting on my side of the bed, facing me. "Caroline coming over later?"

"Yeah, in a few." I say and she nods. "Are you okay?"

She chuckles to herself a little. "I've been better. How are you?"

"I've been better." We both laugh. "I can tell you anything right?"

"Of course, baby. What's up?"

"Things didn't go well with Lucas the other day. He basically said she was better and stuff like that." I lower my head.

She lifts my chin up. "I'm sorry baby, but I feel like there's something else you're not telling me."

I take a deep breath, ready for her to scold me or... something. I don't know. "Harper and I are in love."

My words stop me a little when the word 'love' escapes my mouth.

Her eyes glisten. "I knew something was up. Aw, Rose, she's perfect for you! I've never really met her, but I'm happy for you."

"You're not mad?"

"Mad that you love someone? No matter the gender, if you love a person you should be able to. If you love a person, I'll love them too because I love you."

After talking with my mom about Harper, Caroline bursts into my room. "Rose. You left her?! I can't-" She stops when she sees my mom sitting here. "Oh my God I'm so sorry."

"It's alright, I already know all about Harper Riggs." Mom laughs.

Caroline shakes her head. "Rose I could just cry for you! First Lucas hits you, then you tell Harper you need a break?! Distance?!"

"I'm gonna start a Lucas hate club." Mom says, which makes me laugh. "I'm gonna go, have fun girls."

Caroline comes over and sits in the middle of my bed. "Rose."

"I know, I messed up."

"No, it's fine. I remember you telling me that you thought this was wrong, I just didn't think... this would happen."

I look at her. "I didn't think this would happen either, but it did and I have to live with it."

"Why don't you just go and talk to her if you're so upset about it? I'm sure she would be happy to see you." Caroline gives me a light smile, which she always uses to reassure me.