Chapter 30

Caroline. My best friend. The girl that I never would've thought would blow up on me.
The girl I would've never expected I would dread to see in the halls.
That girl used to be, and still is, Lilah James. Now, you can add Caroline to the list.

In this moment, I would rather have to see Lucas Riggs making out with Lilah James then have to see Caroline.

Can I still consider her my best friend? This is just a bump in the road, she'll get over it.

I get out of my car in the absolute freezing cold. I would usually find Caroline and walk into school with her.

Not today.

Today is different.

The school air whips around me as I enter and I'm thankful for the heat.

My shoes squeak on the floors, due to the snow that I stepped in on my way here. Great, just what I need right now.

As I make way to my locker, slowing dragging my ass there, I see a circle of people. Now, school fights are very common here, so I'm not even the slightest bit fazed.

Since I'm nosey, I walk over to the big circle. I do this shit every time because I can't help myself.

But what I see isn't like anything I've seen before or expected to see ever in my life.

It's Lucas vs Jackson.

Lucas is beating the shit out of Jackson as he lays there on the ground. Lucas keeps throwing punches at him as Lilah yells at him to stop from the circle surrounding him. I don't blame her for not stepping in.

"You fucking idiot! Why would you say that shit to my sister and her girlfriend!" He yells.

I guess the ability to beat people up runs in the family.

I can faintly hear Jackson whisper, "I'm sorry." I'm sure he doesn't mean it.

Just as Lucas is about to go for a kick in the gut, he looks up and we make eye contact. His lips spread apart as we look into each others eyes.

He suddenly gets off him and stalks over to me, everyone watching and a few people recording. I hear Lilah yelling for him, he must hear it too because he looks back for a second before looking at me.

He looks like he's about to talk, but Lilah pulls at his arm and walks away with him. He turns to look at me one last time as I hear security call his name.

There he is, Jackson Mandy who's currently lying on the floor with his blood all around him.

There he goes, Lucas Riggs who just beat the shit out of him for the sake of his sister and his ex.

As everyone's departing from the circle, I catch Caroline who's still standing there and looking at Jackson. She slowly averts her eyes to me before shaking her head and walking away.

"Caroline! We need to talk!" I know I can be a petty bitch and if this were anyone else, I would ignore them for life... but I can't do that when it comes to her.

She slowly turns to me, looking between Jackson and I. "Why do you feel the need to get everyone involved?"

She thinks this is my doing?! "You really believe I would tell Lucas something like this?"

"I don't know what to believe about you anymore." She shakes her head before walking off.

Our friendship can't end like this.
This can't be the end of our story.

From Harper: it's open

I open the front door to the Riggs' house. I need more detail about what went on today.