Chapter 36

~ February 14th

Two months without her feels like two years.

My heart longs for her.
My body aches for her touch.
My mind wants her to talk to me.
I just want her back.

I know I should feel resentful, but I just don't. It's hard to hate someone you love.

I know she loves me too.

If Emerson was right, then we're not done yet.

Maybe she's just not a chapter in my book, maybe she's the rest of it.

She's my main love interest in my book, but right now she's my antagonist.

I've held onto Emerson's words close to my heart.

Now, today, is the worst day I could've possibly imagined to come. Valentine's day.

Throughout the day I've seen boyfriends giving a box to chocolates to their girlfriends, a teddy bear, and flowers.

It pulls at my heart a little, wishing I was getting that stuff.

"Hey, Rose!" I hear a voice yell as I reach my car.

"What's up, Lucas?"

"Happy Valentine's day!" He exclaims with a smile and I just stare at him.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Thanks?"

"Ya know, you're my ex and Harper is a little pussy bitch, so I thought I would just wish you one!" I know he means well so it's whatever.

I chuckle a little. "Well thanks, Lucas. Happy Valentine's day to you too."

I see Caroline approach us and I mentally prepare myself. Even though Lucas and I are far along from our brake up, Caroline still jumps down his throat any chance she can get. "What are you doing here, Riggs?"

He gives her a look. "Just being nice, which is something you obviously can't comprehend."

She rolls her eyes and it makes me laugh to myself. I'm so glad I never lost her. "Whatever, Lucas Benjamin Riggs."

He gasps, "Not my full government name! If I knew your middle name, it would be game over."
He looks back at me. "Catch ya later, Rose."

"The only thing you'll be catching is a ass beating from me!" Caroline yells and I place my hands on my hips. She's so childish, but it's so funny. "Anyways, I was just wondering if you were still on for lunch?"

Caroline asked me if I wanted to go out of lunch with her for a Galentine's lunch date, since we're both... technically... single. Well, she's fully single and I'm just confused.

"Yeah, totally, should I just meet you there now?" She nods and we head into our cars.

"So, how are we feeling on this miraculous Valentines day?" Theres something in her eyes saying that she knows my answer.

"Could be better."

She shakes her head. "I can't wait for the day when I ask you how everything is and you say 'it's going great'." She looks down at her half eaten sandwich and back up to me. "I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm just gonna say it... I think Harper is the one for you."

My eyes widen and I put my fork down. "What?! I thought you hated her."

"I hate her for what she did to you, but ever since she left... this spark in you died and I hate to see you this way. I think Emerson was right, you'll find your way back to each other. You guys aren't over but it might take some time to get back." She sighs. "I know this all goes against everything I've been saying, but I do think you guys are forever."