Chapter 39

One Year Later ~ May 2nd

"I can't believe we're fucking married!" Harper says as the first thing when we get into the car. "Like we're married. You're my wife."

"I can't believe it either." I stare into her beautiful eyes that shine in the darkness. "It's not over though, we still have people coming back to the house!"

"You're right." She smirks before buckling her seatbelt. "We better get going, it's gonna look bad showing up to our own party late."

When we arrive to our home, the lights are already on inside, so I'm guessing everyone is already inside.

It's so weird to think that my ex boyfriend is now my brother in law. Something with that thought is weird to me. Like I dated him... I probably sound crazy.

Anyways, even though it's 11:30 pm after our wedding (not to mention the breakfast that we have in the early morning), Harper and I decided it would be nice to invite a small group of people back to our house for fun. They all surprisingly agreed!

We get out of the car and I'm the first one to walk through the door. Everyone's eyes advert to me and then behind me. The smiles on their faces warm my heart.

"Auntie Rose!" I hear Macey yell as she runs up and hugs me. "Auntie Harper!"

Macey. Also known as my Godchild. Also known as Caroline's daughter.

Macey looks exactly like Caroline that it's a little scary if you take a quick glance at her.

About a few years ago, Caroline met a guy at college, accidentally got pregnant, and had Macey. Caroline is now engaged to Paxton and I love them together.

"Hey, babes!" Caroline hugs me. "Congrats!" She's still in her maid of honor dress and I'm surprised she didn't rush to put on a pair of sweatpants.

I guess because she designed my bridesmaid dresses, she wants to keep it on? I really don't know what goes through her head.

"Thank you for making the day so special and for designing these dresses." I smile at her after the hug.

She laughs and gives the smile back to me. "It's my honor! Since I'm now a fashion designer, I'll make anything you want! For free!"

I laugh, "Oh I bet you would." My eye catches Paxton as we exchange a few words about tonight and move on. He's a really sweet guy, but he's on the quiet side and doesn't talk much. I don't mind though.

I move past them and go by the island to find Emerson, Kade, Lucas, and most of all... Dad.

Dad walks over to me before anyone could say a word and hugs me tightly. Just like the hugs he gave me right before I would go off to school growing up. "I love you, honey."

"I love you too, Dad." I know what's about to come.

He lets go of me and puts both his hands on my shoulders. "I know Mom was watching your special day from up in heaven and I just now she loved every second of it. I definitely know she loved those Whitney Huston songs you played."

I laugh and tilt my head, giving him a full smile. "She was definitely dancing to them."

"I wouldn't doubt it for a second." He wraps his arm around my shoulder and guides me to Emerson who looks like she's going to burst with joy.

"My daughter in-law!" She yells and squeezes me.

"Mom, let go a little." Harper whispers, probably noticing how red my face is due to the lack of oxygen.

"Sorry, sweetheart. I'm just so excited!" She looks over at Harper and gives me a kiss on the cheeck. "Come here, Harp!"

Harp... I never heard that nickname for her and I wish I never did.

After talking with Kade for a minute, I hear the voice I knew was coming soon. "Hey, sis."

"Hey... bro." The words feel like acid on my tongue. That's disgusting.

Lucas gives me a look. "Yeah, let's never say that again."

"Noted."

"I'm happy for you, Rose." He gives me a boyish grin. "Even though you're my ex... which doesn't have anything to do with this actually. Anyways, I'm happy you're in the family. You're a great person and I'm glad we're friends... and family I guess."

I laugh and give him a smile. "I'm glad too, Lucas. I'm happy everything's normal between us."

"Me too." He opens his arms. "Come here, fam." I roll my eyes, trying to not let the laugh escape my mouth as I walk into his arms and hug him.

As were hugging, an imagine of Lilah James pops into my head.

Lilah and Lucas broke up the first week of September because Lucas couldn't do long distance.

Lucas lied.

He really broke up with her because he was sick of her complaining about anything she could think of. Even though Lilah and I started getting along, I was happy to have her gone.

He lets go of me as Harper calls my name. "Yeah?"

"Come here! Let's make a toast!" I make my way over and she hands me a glass of champagne. Alcohol at midnight is my type of night for sure. "We wanna thank you guys so much for celebrating this special day with us. It most certainly couldn't of been done without every single one of you." She looks down at me to continue the speech.

"Harper's right, without your support, we wouldn't be where we are now. I remember talking with Emerson once outside on the patio and she said that I was built in family and now I'm actually family." I take a look around, landing on Dad. "I want to especially thank my father for always being there for me and for being my hero in hard times, more recently than ever." He gives me a big smile.
"I wanna thank the Riggs for being so kind to me through everything that I've went though with their kids." Emerson and Kade let out a little chuckle before brining their attention back to me. "I would also like to thank Lucas for being Lucas." He nods. I also give a short shoutout to my Godchild and Paxton.
"Lastly, Caroline. I love you more than words and thank you for being the best friend anyone could ever ask for. I couldn't of done life without you."

Harper looks down at me and kisses me quickly before Emerson takes a deep breath. "To Harper and Rose!"

"To Harper and Rose!" Everyone yells in unison, raising their glasses and clinking them together.

Everyone takes a sip of their drink as Harper wraps her arm around my waist and bends done to my ear. "And to you, my beautiful wife." We clink our glasses and take a sip of the champagne, taking in the moment.

"Come on!" Caroline yells. "Someone play some music!"

Lucas presses play on the speaker and Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon starts blasting and everyone starts singing. Caroline grabs my hand to dance in the middle of the open space between the living room and kitchen.

I look around the room, taking in all of the people I love in one big space celebrating Harper and I.

The thing is, I couldn't of asked for better people in my life and I'm so so grateful for every single one of them.