Chapter 38

Six Years Later ~ September 12th

"Do you think I should paint an accent wall or just keep it all the same color?!" I yell to Harper over the music that's blasting. I can't complain though, I love Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon.

Harper decided that this was "our song" a few years ago when we went to a bar near her college and we both said that we "loved this song" at the same time. Now, we play it every chance we get.

Harper looks at me from the kitchen. "In the living room?!"

"In any room!" Harper and I moved into a house about three weeks ago. We already have furniture in, but the walls are a light orange and it's ugly.

After Harper was done with college, she lived with her parents for a year and waited for me to finish. Once I finished last year, we went house hunting right away and found this home.

It's a cute two story home. When you walk in, to your left is a living room and to your right is a large kitchen (and it's all open space which I love). If you go past the stairs to the right, there's a dining room, a bathroom, and a sliding glass door which leads to our patio and backyard. Upstairs consists of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

I absolutely adore this house.

Harper walks over with a plate of fruit in her hands. "If you think it'll look nice, then let's do it."

"Can we go now?" This is bothering me and I'd rather just do it sooner rather than later.

"Sure, baby. Anything for you."

"Open the window!" I yell, over the music again, but this time we're in the first bedroom to the left of the upstairs hallway. Also the bedroom that will be our first child's. "Do you know what you're doing?"

Harper fixes the ladder and turns to me with a duh look on her face. "I'm painting this wall a light gray, along with the other walls accept for that one." She points to the wall that I envisioned our baby's crib would be.

"Perfect! Now get to work!" I yell and she goes up on the ladder as I start to paint the darker wall.

This all feels like a dream, me and my fiancé are painting the walls to our house. Oh, did I forget to mention that Harper is my fiancé? She proposed to me a year ago in December... so last December. She did it at night on the same area of grass where we laid those few nights in each others arms. After she proposed, we stargazed.

It was perfect.

I take off my ring, not wanting to get paint on it, and start to walk out of the room. "Hey! Where are you going? Why is your ring off?!" She gets down from the ladder and lowers the music a little, which was playing Black by Pearl Jam.

"I don't wanna-"

Harper cuts me off. "Are you un-saying-yes?"

"What?! No! I just didn't wanna get paint on it!"

She smirks. "Oh, I see how it is."

"What?!" Harper shuts the door and runs over to her paint brush. "Harper! No!"

She rubs the paint brush down my face and my cheap pink shirt. "At least pink and gray go together." She taunts.

"Oh, you're gonna fucking get it now!" I run over to my can of paint and dip my fingertips in it, going over to her and flicking the paint all over her.

"Two can play that game!" She runs over dips the brush in the paint and paints all over me while I laugh.

"Harper! Oh my God!" After she's done I look that sucker right in the eyes. "You're so done for."

I turn the water to hot and hop in, waiting for her to join me like she usually does. For three weeks now, I don't think I've showered alone and I can't complain.

As I'm getting my hair wet, I hear the glass doors slide open and her scent fills the small space. "Love?" She asks, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"What is it, baby?" I turn around so I'm facing her beautiful body.

"When he have kids, we can still shower together and have sex... right?"

I laugh and smile up at her. "I love how that's what you're concerned about."

"I just thought about it and thought I would bring it up." She tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "Is that a yes?"

"How could I resist all of... this for so long?"

We start to laugh and I realize that I love times like this. "I couldn't either. If someone told me I couldn't touch you for the rest of my life, I would simply jump off a cliff."

"But you would still have me. It's not like I would go anywhere."

She smiles down at me and I feel my knees get weak. "That's true, but every time I look at you all I wanna do is touch you. All I ever wanna do is hold you like it's the last time I ever will." She cups my face in her hands. "You make falling in love with you so easy. It's hard not to."

"I love you, Harper."

She deeply kisses me. "You'll never love me as much as I love you, wifey." I laugh at the nickname before she deepens the kiss.

It's so crazy to think that I'll be marrying my best friend next year, but I wouldn't change it for the world.