Chapter 6

It's now Tuesday. Yesterday was kind of boring expect for the fact that Lucas wasn't in school. I had texted him during the day and asked where he was, he didn't get back to me until later that night.

To Lucas: hey, where are you? are you feeling okay?

I texted him that at 7:05 am and he didn't respond till 5:32 that night.

From Lucas: hey sorry I stayed home. my stomach hurt a little. thanks for checking up on me :)

To Lucas: are you sure you're okay?? i was worried because you weren't texting back. do you need me to come over?

From Lucas: no i'm okay. thanks though. i'll see you tomorrow. love you.

That was all. He seemed a little off to me. He's been seeming a little off to me lately.

But now, I'm walking into school and I see him standing by my locker.

"Hey," I say as I approach him. "Are you okay? You seem off." His face is his normal shade, but under his eyes and the top of his nose is a crimson red. I go to touch it, but he smacks my hand away, which makes me stumble back a bit in shock. "What the actual hell is your problem?!"

"Sorry, it just really hurts."

"Hurts?! Why would it hurt?"

He starts to look around the hall, like he's trying to find something to change the subject. I stare at the color. At first I thought maybe it was a bruise, but why would it be there? And it doesn't look like one at all. But now that I'm looking at it, I think I know what it is.

Makeup... eye shadow to be exact.

I brush it off for now.

I grab his arm and head down the hall to his locker. "Oh, by the way. Why did you text me Sunday night asking what I thought of your sister? I thought it was kinda funny because we talked about it in your room that day. I mean I don't care but-"

"Rose, what are you talking about?" He stops grabbing his books and looks at me. "I didn't text you... what time was it at?" He goes into his phone and shows me that they're no texts from him saying any of that. Is he gaslighting me? I pull out my phone and show him all the texts. "Again, what time was that at."

"9:45."

His eyes go wide. "That's odd, I was in the shower at that time and left my phone in my room. I don't know how that happened." I could tell he didn't care and brushed it off. I stood there and thought for a second until all of the pieces came into my head.

I think it was Harper who sent those.

I let out a big breath as he finishes grabbing his things. We walk down the hall and head to our first period classes.

I sit in class, thinking about everything that's happened. Is there something wrong with me? Is there something wrong with him? I don't know, but something's off here.

After my last class, I head to my car. I walk slowly. Maybe a little too slow? Probably. Definitely too slow if Lilah caught up to me.

Lilah and I used to be best friends in middle school, until she decided she was "too popular" for someone like me. Which is far from the truth. She was always sneaking around with boys during our friendship, which I thought was weird because she would never tell me until after they had hooked up.

I don't know if she was just trying to make me jealous or was just genuinely trying shady.

"Hey Rose! I haven't seen you in like... years. How are you?" She looks the exact same. Her blond, almost white, hair is down in curls, her dark brown eyes are so pretty that I can't help but stare, and her pink shirt and short white sleeve shirt just screams preppy. She looks like she belongs in Mean Girls or something.