Chapter 33

"Dad are you ready?"

"Yup! I'm just putting on cologne!" He yells from upstairs.

Harper looks over at me. "I'm actually very excited to go out to lunch with you guys! And for your dad to get to know me better."

I smile at her and kiss her cheek. "I'm very excited as well."

I hear dad come down the stairs. "Does this shirt match these pants?"

"They look great dad." I laugh. "Let's go."

We end up going to some restaurant that I've never been to before. It's like a mix of a diner and a Chili's. It's cute though.

After we order drinks, dad looks at Harper as she's currently sitting next to me. "Harper, I would just like to say thank you."

I can tell she kinda looks at him like she's confused. "For what?"

"For what?! For everything you've done since my wife died. You've helped around the house so much and you're always keeping us company. Especially, Rose. Which I really appreciate." He looks around before he whispers. "I like you a lot more than Lucas."

"I get that a lot." She laughs for a second then looks back at him. "It's my pleasure. I wanna be here for you guys for stuff like that. If you ever need anything, let me know. I would be more than happy too help."

He gives her a warm smile. "That means a lot. I'm very happy for you two. I can see how happy you guys make each other."

"Thank you." Harper smiles as the waiter rests our drinks on the tables.

"How are your parents doing?" Dad asks and the rest of the lunch is basically them talking about Harpers life. I don't mind, I like listening in.

As soon as dad drops us off, he goes back out to run some errands. I had offered to do them for him, but he insisted.

"So, what do you wanna do for the rest of the day?" Harper asks as we take a seat on the couch.

"I don't care, I'm down for whatever." I responded. As long as I'm with her, I don't care what we do.

I see her look over to me and smile. "Remember that one day when I saw you at the library. You were trying to reach a romance book on a high shelf and I just so happened to be there at the same time?"

I laugh at the memory. "I do remember that! I also remember being really flustered."

"Don't you think I noticed?" She laughs. "I almost didn't help you because I felt awkward, but I knew that was a chance of talking to you and I wasn't going to give up too easily. Seeing you get all flustered was worth it."

"You know I forgot about that." I laugh and then look at her. "And why are you bringing this up?"

"I've been thinking for a while that I wanna start reading."

I jump up and out of my seat. "Don't fuck around, Harper. You better be serious!"

She laughs and puts her hands up in surrender. "I am being serious! I wanna try reading. I know how much joy it brings you and if you love it that much... then I gotta love it."

I grab her hand. "Let's go! Right now!"

"Alright! Alright!" She yells as she grabs her keys and we head to the door.

Harper and I walk into the library and I'm instantly at peace. I haven't been here in a while.

"Cynthia!" I yell as I see her sitting behind the desk. As always.