Chapter 22

It's my first day back since the incident and I feel numb as I walk down the halls. People stare at me and whisper as I walk past, but I don't care. I don't want them to pity me, but I want them to see how much of a dick Lucas is.
He's not just some fun guy that goes to parties, he goes to parties and cheats on his girlfriend.

I want people to give him shit.
I never usually hope for the worst for people, but he makes me want to start.

I finally reach my locker, the walk from my car to here felt like miles. I get what I need and walk to my first period and the rest of the periods drag.

The whole day felt like years long.

"Rose." I hear Caroline say to me as she reaches my locker so we can walk to our cars together. "I'm sorry this is happening."

I turn around, now facing her sad face. "It's whatever, we knew this was gonna happen. I just kinda hate the attention."

"I would too." She looks at me like she wants to say something, I nod to encourage her to say it. "Are you ready for later?"

"Yeah, actually, I am ready." I think I just want to get it fucking over with. "Are you ready?"

"Oh, I sure am ready to hear all about it." She smirks. "What are you thinking Harper's gonna do?"

"Honestly, I just want to do this on my own. She'll probably interfere if something happens."

We reach our cars. "Well if you need anything, you always know I'm here."

I hug her. "I love you and I'll talk to you soon."

When I get home, I feel like I stopped breathing. I've never seen mom in more of a worst state.

She looks thin, pale, and just awful.

I walk past her though, I can't bare to see her in such pain.

Time flies by and now I'm at the Riggs' front door.

To say I'm shitting my pants would be an understatement.

I knock on the door and it opens to show Lucas' distraught face on the other side. He looks like he's been crying all day and night.

He motions for me to come in, so I sit on the couch.

"I-I don't know where to start, Rose. I'm so deeply sorry for what I did I- I wanna be able to say it wasn't intentional but it was. Obviously I never wanted to hurt you-"

I cut him off, this is what every guy says. "Just stop. Why her though? You know what happened between us!"

He sighs. "She came onto me the first night, which was the night you were away on the mountains. She had kissed me during a spin the bottle game that I was dragged into. I couldn't stop, so I asked her if she wanted to have sex."

"So it's all your fault. What about the second night? The night I caught you."

"That was all me." He looks down, ashamed.

"I can't believe you would do something like this to me. It hurts even more because I thought we were having a special moment that night. When we were taking each other's virginity. I should've known."

"I'm sorry about that too." This time, his voice goes back to normal and he doesn't seems like he means it.

"Are you really?"

He looks up at me and in this moment, I knew everything was going to change. "She was great."

I stand up quickly and stare blankly at him. He stands up too. "This is a fucking joke, right?"

"After I had sex with you, I knew it didn't compare to her and I needed her once more. To make up the things you lack because she's perfect."

"I don't know what to say."

He chuckles. "There's nothing too say, Rose. I fucked Lilah and fucked you over."

"I wish I ever dated you, Lucas. I never would've thought you would do some shit like this."

His eyes are like flames. "Well I did and I think it was a good decision."

"Then I guess it was the right decision for me to kiss your sister that night."

He gets closer to me. "What the hell did you do?" He's now hovering over me and I hear a door open.

"She's the better sibling anyway."

He shakes his head. "Rose, you don't know half of the shit she's gotten into. She's no angel."

"But I bet she's not an ugly loser who could cheat on me. Her and I kissed, Lucas. It was the best kiss ever. Me and you... we're over. Forever."

That's when he slapped me. Right across the face.

I stumble back until I fall onto the couch. I put my hand on the place he slapped as it stings.

"Get the fuck out of this house, Lucas!" Oh no. "Don't ever lay a finger on my girl again."

"You're girl?" He laughs. "You're a pathetic loser, Harper. She deserved it."

"Do you remember the last time you hit her? I threatened you." She stalks over to him. "And look what you just did."

"Harper-" I let out. I can't have her getting into trouble right now.

"Lucas, I'm gonna give you two options. One, I'm gonna beat your ass up. Two, leave this damn house."

"Neither."

"It's either I do it or mom and dad will do it later." She says as he hangs his head and walks out, still with burning fire in his eyes. "Rose." She kneels in front of me and guilt washes over me.

"You didn't have to get involved." As soon as I say that, I feel bad. I know what I'm thinking right now and I need to try to push it out because it's not gonna be good for either of us.

"What do you mean? You're mine, Rose, and he hit you."

I start to cry. "I'm not yours, Harper."

She backs away. "What?"

"I don't think I can do us right now."

"Why? You and him are over."

I hang my head. "It's not that."

"What is it, baby? Tell me." She sounds all choked up.

"This is wrong Harper! I have so much going on! My mother is sick! Lucas just blew up on me! He cheated on me! I can't do it all!" I start to cry harder.

"Your mom's sick?"

I shrug. "Yeah, she's been having really bad stomach pains that's keeping her home from work. The doctors have no idea what's going on and it's not looking too good, but that's beside the point."

"Sorry to hear." She puts her hand on my leg. "What are you suggesting we do to make this work?"

"Time away, like distance.,." I let out a sob. "I really like you, but I feel weird right now dating my ex's sister. Let alone a girl."

"A girl? What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing, it's just all new to me and all new feelings..."

She smiles. "You've never liked a girl before?"

"I have, I'm bi. I just never had a physical thing like this before with a girl." I give her a small smile. "I don't wanna leave your side, but I need to, to feel like it's all right. Right now, this is feels so wrong and I don't want that."

"How long is this gonna be?" Her eyes are filled with tears and pain.

"I wish I could tell you." I get up and hug her. "I'll see you soon."

She lets out a sob that breaks my heart as I reach the door. "Please don't let it be too long, Rosemarie."

"I'll try, Harper. I'll really try." I give her a weak smile as she sobs louder. "I really will."