Chapter 2: Rebirth

In the large black and white courtyard, the floors were slabs of limestone, the pillars were vermilion red and there were complicated Begonia patterns engraved on the railings. After an entire night of rain, the rain drops slipped down the leaves and onto the ground.

The purple gold incense burner was made exquisitely like small animal and was currently emitting costus root scent which smelt exceptionally fresh in the early autumn.

In each corner of the bed, small, brightly coloured tassel sachets of fragrance were hung. By the side of the couch, two tall maids were carefully fanning the person on the bed.

"The fever should be serious as one fell into the water in such a cold weather. Young Lady had been sleeping for a day and night and the physician said that she should be awake by now. Why is there still no movement?" The green clad maid's face could hardly conceal her anxiety.

"Gu Yu, it's almost been half a shichen (1 shichen = 2 hours). Why has the doctor not arrived yet?" The other maid clad in purple asked.

"The Second Mistress was looking on closely and this is considered a shameful matter so the residence is concealing the matter." Gu Yu looked at the person on the bed, "Furen and Master are not in the capital and Eldest Young Master is likewise not in. Old Furen is also biased towards the East courtyard. Seeing that Bai Lu and Shuang Jiang have yet to return after looking for a physician, it must be that they were stopped. Isn't this as good as pushing Young Lady onto the road towards her death! This cannot be done. I have to go out and see."

As the words were spoken, the person on the bed who was listening moaned in a weak voice.

"Young Lady is awake!" The purple clad maid called out in surprise, quickly running to the bedside to see the young female rubbing her forehead as she slowly sat up.

"Jing Zhe..." Shen Jennie mumbled.

"This servant is here." The maid in purple smiled as she held Shen Jennie's hand, "Is Lady feeling better? After sleeping for a day and night, it seemed that the fever had subsided but one still did not wake. This servant was thinking of calling a physician over again."

"Does Young Lady want some water?" Gu Yu handed a cup of tea over.

Shen  looked somewhat puzzled at the two before her.

She had four first rank maids: Jing Zhe, Gu Yu, Bai Lu and Shuang Jiang. They were all very intelligent and quick-witted girls. Unfortunately, not one was left in the end..

When she was a hostage in Qin, in order to protect her from being humiliated by the Crown Prince, Gu Yu died at the hands of the Crown Prince of Qin. With Bai Lu and Shuang Jiang, one died along with Wan Yu on the marriage journey, another died in the fight for favour with Mei Furen in the Inner Palace.

As for Jing Zhe, she was the prettiest of them. In the beginning, in order to help Fu Jong Kai ascend to the throne and win over the officials, Jing Zhe volunteered to be a concubine, using her beauty to lure the official's support. In the end, she was killed by the official's wife with a random reason.

After learning of the death of Jing Zhe, Shen Jennie cried so much she almost had a miscarriage.

Now, seeing Jing Zhe standing in front of her with her usual beautiful self and Gu Yu smiling at her, both maids at the tender age of fourteen or fifteen, put Jennie in a momentary trance.

After a moment, she bitterly smiled and closed her eyes, "The illusion one saw before death was just so real."

"What is Young Lady saying?" Gu Yu put the cup aside and touched Jennie's forehead, "Has the fever confused you?"