Chapter 87: Unable to Bear (Part 1 & 2)

|Part 1|

It was a rare snowstorm that hadn't been seen in the last few decades in Ding Capital. However, on the second day, it abruptly stopped. The thick snow had piled up to one's knees, and in such cold weather, even the most diligent traders preferred to stay in their warm beds rather than risk the cold to set up stalls.

The person responsible for the night watch had overslept and hastily rose with the gong. The sun had yet to rise, and the skies were dark, but he tightened his worn-out jacket and stepped into the snow. He proceeded at a steady pace, passing the main gates of Prince Yu's residence.

The main gates of Prince Yu's residence were slightly ajar, with only half of the word 'Joyous' visible on the door. The elderly man responsible for the night watch didn't spot a single guard, which raised his suspicions. The people in Prince Yu's residence were known for being fierce and evil, and he had been scolded by them many times. It was strange not to see them today. After noticing the half 'Joyous' word, he realized that it was because Prince Yu's residence had welcomed the new Wangfei (prince's wife) the previous day. Perhaps the guards had been rewarded with food and drinks and had become drunk.

Thinking about the future of the young lady who had married into Prince Yu's residence, the old man shook his head and was about to continue walking past the main gates of Prince Yu's residence. Coincidentally, a cold wind blew out, causing the heavy door to squeak and the narrow opening to widen. The old man was surprised by this and felt a strange sensation in his heart. He couldn't explain the feeling but stood at the door for a long time until a hawker passing by noticed him and asked, "Old Fourth Lee, what are you doing at the door?"

The person responsible for the night watch jumped and suddenly understood the strange feeling. In broad daylight, there should have been some noise coming from the residence, even if everyone was drunk and fast asleep. There should have been dogs or pet birds making some sounds, but there was nothing. The air was eerily still, as if it were a graveyard.

His hand trembled slightly, but he couldn't help himself and took two steps forward. Just as he reached the creak at the door, a strong, pungent odor washed over him, almost causing him to stumble. He pushed the door, but it didn't budge. Looking down, he saw a piece of solid ice wedged in the door, most likely frozen there due to the wind and snow from the previous night.

The old man responsible for the night watch stared wide-eyed and took a couple of steps back before screaming, causing people on the street to look over at him.

With the first rays of dawn, the piece of crystal-clear ice became particularly visible. It was thick, concentrated blood that had solidified into a block of ice. An ice river flowed from the door slits, but it stopped right at the front of the door, as if those inside had been desperately struggling to escape but were cut off by the door.

As if it were a river of fresh blood.

The entire household of Prince Yu of the First Rank in Ding Capital was exterminated on the day they welcomed the new Wangfei. From the highest ranking officials to the lowly servants, even the pets like cats, dogs, chickens, and ducks were not spared. The extermination was carried out with such ruthless efficiency that it seemed like the perpetrator held a deep-seated grudge, as they left no one alive. The clean and precise execution, the fact that no gold or jewelry was taken, indicated that this act was not motivated by greed.