Chapter 88: Soft - Hearted (Part 1 & 2)

|Part 1|

"Do not look at me; I will not be able to bear it."

Time suddenly stopped strangely in that moment, and everything seemed to have become silent. The entire room, filled with burning torches, seemed even quieter than that person's moving eyes. Initially, it was a display of intimacy, a lover whispering ambiguously, but in the blink of an eye, it was permeated with a thick intention to kill.

Taehyung's eyes drifted downwards, and he felt a slight warmth on his palm, as if he could sense the eyelashes moving like butterfly wings, fluttering away but unable to escape.

"Gao Hoseok, go out," Taehyung said.

Gao Hoseok frowned, "What do you mean?"

"Just go out," Taehyung calmly replied.

Hoseok glanced at him but said nothing, picking up the cloth-wrapped item and walking out. After his footsteps had faded, Taehyung slowly released his grip.

As he unfolded his hand, tiny crystals glinted in the torchlight on his fair palm.

Just a moment ago, Jennie seemed to have cried.

Taehyung lazily remarked, "It's just death. What's there to cry about?" He wanted to say more, but he fell silent when he noticed the expression on the young woman in front of him.

Jennie's brows were clear, and a touch of childlike innocence still lingered on her face. But today, her countenance was shrouded in coldness, and there was no hint of sorrow in her clear, water-like eyes. What had seemed like fear a moment ago was likely a ruse, and she wasn't frightened at all. Taehyung's heart skipped a beat when he observed Jennie suddenly raise her hand and move toward his chest. This fierce and ruthless attack, if directed at anyone else, would have startled them. However, Taehyung only made a slight move, gripping Jennie's left arm. She was pulled towards him and nearly fell into Taehyung's embrace. Then, he saw her retrieve something from her sleeve and stab it into his arm without hesitation.

The hairpin was minuscule, barely noticeable unless one paid close attention. Jennie's action was relentless and unhesitating, and the hairpin was buried in her captor's arm. Taehyung's eyes darkened, and he swiftly removed it, causing Jennie to be thrown against the stone wall once again.

Taehyung's hand tightened around Jennie's delicate neck, and with just a little more force, her neck could easily be snapped. His voice carried an underlying anger as he spoke, "Seems like the people of the Shen residence have learned the art of a surprise attack."

When Jennie's gaze fell on Taehyung's arm, she noticed that half of the hairpin was embedded in it, and blood stained his sleeves, making them adhere to his arm. Taehyung met Jennie's eyes and smiled indifferently. "Even if there's poison, it won't matter, as I'll kill you before that."

His eyes were mesmerizing and could captivate anyone who looked at them. If the young ladies of the Ding capital saw that enigmatic smile, it would likely cause a commotion. However, in Jennie's eyes, there was a trace of indifference.