Chapter 5: Tit for Tat

"Unfilial granddaughter, get down on your knees!"

Jennie did not move for the Old Shen Furen's words.

Everyone looked at her in shock. Shen Xin was not in the residence due to battles, leaving Jennie to be brought up by Old Shen Furen. With Jennie's weak and cowardly character, she had never before refuted Old Shen Furen's commands when she was that severe. She actually did not kneel today?

Was it true that as long as the matter was related to Prince Kai, she would have tremendous courage?

"ZuMu, what mistake did Fifth Lady (referring to herself) made?" Jennie calmly asked.

"Is the fever making Fifth Younger Sister confused?" Shen Yue was the first to speak with an anxious expression on her face, "ZuMu only spoke in a moment of anger and would not truly punish you. As long as you admit your mistake then the matter would be concluded. Why are you being stubborn?"

This sentence had already placed the fault of knowing one's error , being unwilling to change and going against elders onto Jennie's head.

"Impudent! The skies have fallen!" Old Shen Furen was so angry that she suddenly sat upright and her voice became sharper. Shen Yuan Bo was so frightened by Old Shen Furen's sudden action that the sweet steam milk pastries he was holding accidentally fell onto the ground, causing him to burst into tears.

"Seventh Son mustn't cry." Ren Wan Yun saw that her youngest son was crying and immediately took a few steps forward to pull him in her arms as she looked at Jennie with an unfavorable manner, "Fifth Lady, are you crazy? Who taught you to go against one's elders?"

Jennie looked at Ren Wan Yun.

Second Furen, Ren Wan Yun, who wore a blue silk dress was full-bodied, with a rosy and fair plump face. When one saw her, she looked kind and benevolent as she usually had a smile on her face. She had the authority of the household in her hands and everyone in Shen residence respected her fairness in handling matters. She was entirely worthy as a good daughter-in-law and wife.

Jennie also thought the same up until she was married off. Shen Xin added almost half of his assets into the dowry but, in the end, only a few ended up at Prince Kai's residence. Why was it like that? It was naturally because it was swallowed up by Ren Wan Yun.

Ren Wan Yun confiscated the more valuable items in the dowry and with the owner changed in addition to Shen Xin not being in the capital, she was married foolishly into Prince Kai's residence. Her dowry was the reason that she had lost her standing in the entire Prince Kai's residence. It was all due to this good Shenshen's 'fairness'.

"Second Shen's remark means that Fifth Lady is wrong?" Jennie softly said, "But Fifth Lady does not know where one went wrong."

"Stupid thing!" Old Shen Furen did not hold back and immediately cursed, "Already at such an age and still does not know what shame is. To steal a look at His Highness Prince Kai. You have shamed the entire Shen residence! And to even dare to rebut me. Who taught you the rules for you to be this disrespectful!"

Jennie sighed softly in her heart. Old Shen Furen usually had an air of arrogance but once she opened her mouth, it was the speech of a songstress. Which old furen of a noble family would curse like this? It was exactly like a common prostitute. Before, she did not feel that way but after being an Empress and seeing this, she felt that Old Shen Furen's words had brought down her status.

"Steal a look at His Highness Prince Kai?" She tilted her head in confusion.

Shen Yue could not help but say, "Fifth Younger Sister, although it is known that you are in love with Prince Kai, but to fall into the water just to steal a look at Prince Kai is detrimental to the face of this residence. Moreover, His Highness Prince Kai would not be happy in his heart. Fifth Younger Sister, you had better find a chance to apologise to Prince Kai."