Chapter 4: Old Shen Furen

In the early autumn, the geese from the North lined up as they flew across the sky towards the warmer South. The lush summer foliage in the courtyard had begun to wither in autumn and the coloured fishes in the pond looked much calmer than usual.

The young female's ink black hair was combed into a deer bun and secured by a delicate coral hairpin as she wore a dark red outfit with clouds and geese embroidery, bringing out her slim and exquisite body.

Bai Lu draped the embroidered cloak gently over Jennie's body and said, "Young Lady's health has yet to recover and one must be careful not to catch a cold."

Jennie shook her head.

Her stature was still small and she was not as tall as Shen Yue and Shen Qing. Her face was also rounded and, combined with her usual cowardly characteristics, she seemed to be a few years younger than her actual age, just reaching eleven or twelve years old.

But today she was somewhat different.

Shuang Jiang watched by the side and felt slightly peculiar in her heart.

The young female's complexion was fair and she was small and petite, without even a smile on her face. She did not look cold or foolish but was somewhat indifferent and one could feel some sense of yearning as she gazed into the skies. She was standing like before but gave off a slightly dignified feeling, like she had gained a unique air overnight and there was a sense of grace in the atmosphere.

Shuang Jiang shook her head as if she could wipe the absurd thought from her mind. She smiled and looked towards Jennie, "What is Young Lady looking at?"

After having her breakfast, Jennie stood at the courtyard staring at the sky in a trance.

"Was just wondering if these wild geese that fly from the North to the South would pass by the Northwest Desert." Jennie softly said.

The Northwest Desert was the region where Shen Xin was guarding and also where Shen Furen and Eldest Shen Young Master were at. Last month when they wrote back, the capital had just turned colder but already all kinds of trees were withered and a little snow was forming.

"Young Lady is missing Master and Furen." Shuang Jiang smiled, "Master will return at the end of the year and will be so happy to see that Young Lady has grown taller again."

Jennie smiled with a trace of bitterness at the corners of her lips.

The Great General could only return once a year and upon his return, the first thing he faced was that his own daughter did not know shame and was made a joke by rushing to be a wife herself and forcing a marriage upon others. How happy could he be?

Not to mention the one that she was obsessed with was a vile person who only wanted to use the Shen family army to fight for the throne. The fight for the throne was a messy affair that the Shen family was not willing to interfere in but unfortunately they were dragged into it by her blind love which lead to the destruction of the entire clan.

Jennie closed her eyes.

It was just a short time of half a year, but it was long enough for so many things to happen. Once she reached marriageable age, her marriage had become a matter that the East courtyard could use against her as leverage. It seemingly started from this year that the East courtyard removed the disguise to show the evil beast beneath and forced her step by step to a dead end, until she was unable to return.

"Young Lady, Young Lady?" Bai Lu saw that little mistress's expression was not right as she clutched the cape so tightly that her fingers had turned white, so she softly called out.