Chapter 32: Same Group

The examiners in charge of the academy examinations was already up on stead and the personnel that were holding the wooden buckets had recorded the different categories to divide it to groups for the examinations.

First up were the female groups, for the four scholarly arts. The students of Oak Wood academy did not have to take the academy examinations in the first grade, only when they are in grade two and three. Grade Three were done at the next wave and thus only Grade Two students were left with around twenty over people.

The females who attended Oak Wood Academy were the capital's noble daughters and Shu daughters had no qualification. Even among the Di daughters, families would also hire teachers into the residence to teach. Moreover the fees for Oak Wood Academy were not low, every year their profits would reach to over a thousand.

In the beginning Shen Xin did not care about such money matters so the three daughters of the Shen residence were all sent to Oak Wood Academy. Ren Wan Yun had some dissatisfaction with the matter but Shen Xin waved his hands on it and they did not dare to continue arguing. After all, the money in the public fund were all rewards that the Emperor gave to Shen Xin for his battle efforts.

Twenty two people were divided into four groups. There were more, seven people, in the qin group since females had always like things that highlight themselves. For the other three topics, there were five people each.

In the painting group where Jennie was in, there was Shen Yue, Left Commanding Imperial Censor's Di daughter, Qin Qing from Feng Tian residence, Fu Yin residence's Fan Liu-er and Zhao Yan from the Left Vice Minister residence

Fan Liu-er and Zhao Yan were both somewhat disappointed. Fan Liu-er expertise was in the qin and Zhao Yan was good in chess, moreover no one was like Shen Yue who was proficient in every category. To be unable to pick their expertise in front of the males, Fan Liu-er and Zhao Yan was not satisfied about it. It was Qin Qing, who was as arrogant as usual. Qin Qing was pretty and was the only rival of Shen Yue in Oak Wood but not on talent. Even though Shen Yue was a soft beauty, Qin Qing looked glamorous and her presence could push her down.

Jennie's eyes landed on Qin Qing. Today she was wearing a green wide-sleeved cotton robes and there was a yellow belt on her waist. Her waist was less than a grip and with the fluttering of her robes, there was some fairy-like feeling. As compared to the weak and soft appearance of Shen Yue, she was like a pure Water Lily.

However in such a life of a beautiful female would be caught up in the late Emperor's plan of cleaning up of the noble family clans. After the Left Commanding Imperial Censor's family suffered a defeat, she was reduced to a prostitute in the army and later it was heard that she used a knife and perished with some insignificant soldier in the army.

Seemingly aware of Jennie's sight, Qin Qing looked over and was somewhat surprised but then turned back with some disgust, as if she was not willing to spare even another glance towards Jennie.

Jennie was not bothered about it but it was Rose, who stood beside her, who tugged the corner of her clothes, "Later on you should just draw anything casually and not think too much."

Rose thought it simply. Since one would definitely be humiliated, to be humiliated like that would make those people find it boring. But if Jennie strived to be vindicated and did overstep the boundaries of propriety, then it would be a major disadvantage.

Jennie nodded. After hearing the examiners on stage beating the drum, the academy examinations officially started.

The first comparison was 'qin'.

It could be Rose's good luck as the female students who had picked 'qin' all had mediocre skills. In addition of being the best few in qin, it turns out to be a lucky coincidence. Rose had picked up a big advantage.