Chapter 16: Boil The Hound Once The Rabbit Is Caught

The Su family was a big clan that was in charge of the military horses and would be superior than others by a level as it was a high ranking official who was only able to hold the position of managing the matters of the military horses' rations.

Su family's military horses striking status was already in place since the founding of Ming Qi and was managed very well. There was no exception from Ping Nan Bo, Su Yu. From his view, the Su family was splendid and would certainly continue on for a long time. Perhaps loyal officials would have such a thought like this, as long as one was to faithfully work, the Imperial family would not treat them unfairly.

But since the ancient times, accompanying one's sovereign can be like accompanying a tiger. In this world of things, who would be able to say it clearly?

Su Yu would be forty years of age when the year ends and can be considered quite loving to his Furen. Even though he had a few concubines, they gave birth to all daughters. There was only two Di sons so he was always very strict on the education of his sons.

His Eldest Son, Su Ming Feng started to serve the government at a young age and was like him, in charge to the military horses and in fact did better than Su Yu in this half a year. Just some time ago Su Ming Feng collaborated with the veterinarians in the Imperial Medical Court and reformed some guidelines of military horses and because of that, the number of warhorses that die due to plagues dropped by half. This was a great merit. After the military statistics are up next month, Su Ming Feng would definitely be rewarded.

Bestowing rewards were secondary but the main thing was that this represented glory and honour. Su Yu has past his prime and currently Su Ming Feng was of the right age and the son should succeed his father's career, thus it was time to expand Su Ming Feng's reputation. If Su Ming Feng was much more outstanding, maybe he would become the next confidant and talent of the heir apparent to the throne.

Su Yu was naturally happy because of his remarkable eldest son but his youngest son gave him a headache. Probably because his youngest son was only born when his Furen was rather old thus his Furen doted him a lot and he developed a spoilt personality. Not to mention about being as outstanding as his oldest son, even when comparing among his peers, he would be behind them.

As Su Ming Lang was not the eldest son, naturally he need not inherit the title of the heir so it did not matter if he was a little dumb. But Su Yu had an unbending personality and would not tolerate any slight in his own son. Thus he would test his homework after each return from the academy, his little son would suffer the reprimands and his Furen would cover up his shortcomings, making it seems a little like all hell break loose.

But this day, Su Yu was in the studying discussing some things with Su Ming Feng. Both father and son had endless to talk about on the topic of military horses. Master Su was elated. To have such an outstanding son, what else could he not be satisfied with. As they discussed, they started to talk about Su Ming Feng's bestowment in the following month.

"In my opinion, this time His Majesty would definitely confer an official title. For the time being don't mention about bestowment of precious stones or whatever, Father is only hoping that your career would be more stable. Now that the Dunes have begun to stir, the attention needs to be on the military horses. Ming Feng, as long as you are able to get His Majesty's high regards, in the future the Su family can only go further. Your younger brother is still young, so you still need to carry the Su family on your shoulders."

Su Ming Feng nodded his head in agreement. He was in his youth and there was upright and awe-inspiring look in his brows. However, his eyes could not help but reveal a little pride as it was the period where youths were determined not to fall short of expectations. Not only from the affirmation from his father, he was elated that the importance of the matters he managed has been steadily increasing.