Chapter 12: Gui Momo

*this doesn't have any relation to Momo Hirai, this was the name in the original novel*

When Jennie got out of the academy and returned to the Shen residence, the skies were becoming dark.

Shen Yue and Shen Qing did not return together with her and Jennie could not be bothered to care about them. Old Shen Furen had already gone to rest so she went back to the West courtyard.

Just as she reached the West courtyard, a warm voice called out, "Young Lady has finally returned. This old servant heard that Young Lady had fallen into the water and was very worried. Seeing that Young Lady is well, this one's heart can finally be at ease."

Turning her head to the side, Jennie saw a middle-aged woman walking over with a smile. This woman was about forty years of age, with a somewhat fat stature, slightly darker skin and wearing a green dress and a thick silver bracelet on her wrist. Even though it looked ordinary, the material used was good.

"Gui Momo," Shen Jenne replied faintly.

That woman did not think she had done anything wrong and continued preaching, "This old servant wanted to come over earlier but my grandson was ill. After much tossing and turning and seeing there was no other choice, one could only pass my grandson to his mother and come back to the residence first. Seeing that Young Lady is alright, this one's heart can settle."

The main point of these words was to say that Jennie's position in her heart was more important than her own grandson. If it was as usual, after listening to these words, Jennie would be greatly moved and give Gui Momo some taels to get a physician for her grandson.

But after her rebirth, Jennie almost laughed at her own naivety when she saw the woman in front of her. In the beginning, how blind was she to think that such a person was a loyal servant?

Not long after her mother gave birth to Jennie, she set off with Shen Xin. Since Jennie was too young and could not bear the difficulty of travelling, Shen Furen could only reluctantly leave her in Shen residence. Shen Furen hired a wet nurse for her, who was the current Gui Momo. Gui Momo was born on a farm on their estate and at the beginning Shen Furen saw that she was diligent and honest. Afterwards, when she saw Gui Momo treating Jennie very well, she then felt assured to leave her at Jennie's side as a training helper.

But, in this world people will change.

There were already very few people in West courtyard and the ones calling the shots were the two other households and Old Shen Furen in the East courtyard. Gui Momo initially took care of Jennie honestly, but after some time passed, she saw the power situation clearly and did not hesitate to defect to Old Shen Furen's side. When Jennie was initially bent on marrying Fu Jong Kai, Gui Momo fanned the flames with her flattering words.

But the most detestable thing was that, in the beginning, when Old Shen Furen brought her grandniece from far away to seek refuge with the Shen family, that grandniece accused Eldest Brother Shen Qiu of ruining her innocence and insisted on getting him to take responsibility. She finally became her sister-in-law and created a mess out of Eldest Brother's inner courtyard. And Gui Momo was supposedly the witness to the insult Shen Qiu inflicted upon this grandniece.

To think about it now, it was nothing but a bad show.

Once disloyal, one cannot be used for a hundred times. Moreover, with such a person as Gui Momo, who was a hundred times disloyal, Jennie naturally had to tidy things up. When dealing with a dog that ran to others, might as well kill it rather than continuing to rear it.

After Gui Momo waited for a long time without hearing Jennie giving out a reward, the loving look on her face stiffened. She could not help but look up at Jennie, but only saw looking indifferent, as if it was nothing special.