Chapter 89: No Route (Part 1, 2 & 3)

|Part 1|

For such a significant event that had occurred in the Ding capital, the entire city was buzzing with talk about the extermination of the entire household of Prince Yu. Rumors were spreading like wildfire, growing more outrageous with each passing day. There were countless speculations and attitudes, with many different types of conjectures. Some suspected that the entire household of Prince Yu had been wiped out in a fit of anger by enemies of the newly married Prince Yu's Consort, who had sent them to their graves over a beauty. This rumor had a certain allure, adding a touch of intrigue to the grim reality.

Such rumors were widespread, and while some may not have given them much thought, there was one particularly unsettling rumor circulating.

The crux of this rumor was that the extermination of the entire household of Prince Yu was orchestrated by the Shen family. The motives behind such an act were shrouded in mystery, leaving officials with their own interpretations.

While the upfront rumors merely brought scorn and ridicule to Shen Qing and her family, these sinister rumors aimed to implicate the Shen family further.

The entire household of Prince Yu had been wiped out entirely, sparing not even a single soul, except for the newlywed bride. It begged the question: how could the bride have managed to spare her own life unless she was involved from the start? If the Shen family were behind this, everything would make sense. However, the question remained: why would the Shen family oppose Prince Yu? Perhaps they weren't pleased with this marriage, but as one delved deeper, considering the shifting political currents in the court, it was uncertain whether the Shen family acted independently or was manipulated by others. Ordinary folks might not discern these nuances, but seasoned officials were unlikely to let them pass. In no time, the entire Shen family found themselves caught in the turbulent waves of public suspicion.

Early in the morning, Bai Lu and Shuang Jiang brought snacks for Jennie, as the entire Shen residence was preoccupied with this matter, even causing the meals from the kitchen to be hasty and neglectful. Aside from Rong Jing Tang, where everything was well-maintained, other parts of the household were left to fend for themselves. Bai Lu and Shuang Jiang had gone out to buy snacks, hoping that some sweet broth would help warm Jennie.

After breakfast, Jennie finished her grooming and looked at herself in the mirror. She noticed her appearance and slightly frowned. She casually spoke to Marie, "Fetch the fox fur muffler that Eldest Brother sent over."

"Ah, Young Lady wants to wear that muffler," Marie replied. She retrieved the muffler from a chest but was halted by Jennie.

"I'll put it on myself," Jennie said.

The muffler was crafted from pure white fox fur, without a single mixed fur. Shen Qiu had hunted the fox in the Northwestern mountain range, deeming its fur precious enough to create an exquisite muffler for Jennie. She hadn't worn it before, keeping it stored at the bottom of the chest. Now, for some reason, Jennie suddenly remembered it. Marie was pleased to see it being used, as it was indeed a beautiful piece. To have such a fine fur item tucked away and unseen would be a waste.

As Jennie donned the muffler, Marie complimented, "The muffler around Young Lady's neck looks very becoming and accentuates your fair complexion. It also appears quite warm. It's really lovely."