Chaper 1

Jennie Kim, a student at Chung-Ang University majoring in Civil Engineering. She would be turning 23 this year and was already in the last semester before finishing her BA. She was a cheerful girl knowing everything in this world to be beautiful. She came from a good family and had a loving fiancé who spoiled her so much. Just thinking of him always made her smile. He had graduated before her and was already in Sydney waiting to start their new life together. The duo had it all planned out: after she finished her studies (hopefully at the end of this year) she would fly to Sydney to marry him. Thinking of the plan, she smiled again. She looked at the red roses on top of her drawers. 'Oh how beautiful life is' she thought.  The door of her bedroom suddenly swung open and her little sister came in with a cordless phone, giddier than a kid on Christmas morning.

"What is it? Why are you so excited?" Jennie asked.

"Unnie! It's your fiancé!" She yelled.

"Give it to me." She said while quickly grabbing the cordless phone. While taking to him, she found herself smiling again. She smiled throughout the whole conversation.  She smiled and laughed so long, her cheeks began to hurt. After a little while, she hung up the phone.

"What did he talk about?" Her sister asked impatiently.

"He said that he had bought a land to build our own house, my dream house. A house where I could taste the fresh atmosphere, smell the tangy scent of gum trees that lined the ocean" she paused and closed her eyes just thinking of it.

"Oh God, I can't wait to see it. He's sending me the blue print of the house so that I could make any changes if I want. He is so thoughtful." She was boasting of her perfect and loving fiancé.

"Unnie, you're so lucky." Her sister said with a jealous pout.

"Of course I am. Now, would you excuse me? I have to study hard to pass the exam next month. I want to finish my study on time so I can fly to Sydney." She gave her sister a wink.

"Alright, just don't forget to come down for dinner."

"I won't. Now go!" She drawled with lazy humor. Before she could say anything else, the phone rang again. This time it was her best friend Irene calling to see if she would go with her to some party tonight.

"Come on, Jen. It's not good being locked up in your room calculating all those construction" Irene pleaded.  "You need get out more. I really want to go to that party but my mom won't let me go alone. Please?" Irene was trying to act cute at this point.

"But I have an exam next month and I haven't prepared anything." Jennie replied, trying to find an excuse not to go.

"Next month? For goodness sakes, that's 30 days away! I'm just for one night, Ok? It's my friend's birthday party. You know Bona, right? I can't let her down." Irene's voice was gentle, begging her to come. Jennie sighed. She hadmeant it when she said that she had to study. However, she couldn't disappointher best friend, too. She sighed again before saying, "Fine. You win, but promise me we will leave before midnight." She could hear Irene shriek in delight on the other line.

"Thanks, Jennie. You are the best! I will come to pick you up at 7."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They entered the bar at7.25 pm. Jennie frowned. She turned her head to Irene and muttered, "You didn'ttell me it was going to be at a bar. Are you sure this is the place?"

Irene leaned her head to Jennie, "This is not just some BAR, young lady. Look at it carefully. It's a 'lounge' of a Five Star hotel." She grinned at Jennie's facial expression.

"Whatever.  Just make sure we get home before midnight. I don't know why, but I don't get a good feeling from this place." She said a little awkwardly.