Chapter 37

Holding the phone firmly with her right hand, Jennie asked her mother weakly, "Mom, please say it clearly. Who's dying?" Her voice was trembling. Her hand was shaking as she prayed to god not to hear what she had guessed. She held her breath, getting ready to hear the worst news in her ears.

"Your son, Jennie. Yohan. He's dying." She heard her mother crying loudly.

Jennie was breathless and speechless as she felt her world suddenly darkened. She almost collapsed. Her mind and heart screamed loudly at the same time, 'Noooooo! It can't happen to Yohan! It couldn't be!' Tears dropped endlessly on her pale cheeks, 'Oh God, please don't take Yohan away. Please.'

She stared blankly at the ceiling for a moment and put herself down on the sofa limply. She sobbed silently as the news shocked her more than she could bear.

"Jennie, are you still there? He's in the hospital now. I can't tell you the details on the phone. For God's sake, you have to come home. Don't you want to see him?" Her mother's voice had become softer.

After getting her mind clear for a few seconds, Jennie sobbed hard. She couldn't lose Yohan. She couldn't lose him. Living in a separate world without her son during these last 6 weeks was killing her, what if she never saw him again, for the rest of her life? She took a deep sigh between her sobs and whispered weakly, "I'm coming back, mom. I HAVE to see him. I have to be by his side. He can't leave me and Jisoo Oppa."

Putting the phone down quickly, she ran to her bedroom to get changed. Throwing her wedding gown on the bed, she quickly took her jeans, shirt and jacket. While sobbing hard, she opened her drawer harshly to get her passport and all of her money. She didn't have time to pack her clothes. Tears blurred her sight. She wiped it with the back of her hand harshly to fight with the clock running. She had to run. Did Jisoo say his flight would depart in one hour? Did he say he bought her a ticket to Seoul? Where was it? Had he given it to her? Oh no. He hadn't given the ticket to her, "Jisoo-ah, please wait for me. Please wait." She whispered dreadfully, while putting her things into her handbag.

She took the phone and dialed the number, calling the taxi in panic. She screamed out to the lady who received her phone call when she told her to wait for another 15 minutes. She couldn't wait.

When she was ready to lock her apartment door, she remembered Jong-in. There was no time to call him. She took a pen and wrote a short note to him. Locking the door, she ran to the main road as fast as she could to get a taxi to the airport.

Scanning the departure hall of Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport with teary eyes, Jennie tried to find Jisoo, "Where is he? Oh God, please show me where he is?" She asked to herself in despair. She wanted to scream loudly to call his name however there were a crowd of people. Facing the hall back and forth, she couldn't find Jisoo. Sobbing hard, her eyes searched for him in fear. What if she couldn't find him? She didn't have a ticket to fly back to Seoul now. Ignoring the weird looks from the other people around her, she looked at the announcement board. There were only two flights going to Seoul tonight. The fastest one was Singapore Airlines. However, its passengers had boarded already. The gate had closed. She was too late. Jisoo must have taken this flight.

She inhaled a big sigh, as she felt breathless. She looked at the board again, for the next flight to Seoul. Only one airline was left. She quickly ran to the Cathay Pacific counter to buy the ticket. After arguing with the sales officer because of being too late, she finally got her ticket to Seoul. However, she had to stop over at Hong Kong first before continuing to Seoul.