Chapter 104: Best-case scenario, I can see him when I open my eyes every day

Class 3 gathered around the back row.

Xie Yu reached for the bottle of water at the corner of his desk and watched Wan Da dramatically act it out again.

He Zhao was obligingly supportive, as always. "Very good, very good. You act well."

"Thank you." Wan Da gave a fist salute. "All thanks go to my countrymen for supporting me."

Xie Yu initially thought it uninteresting. He took a sip of water, then flipped his hand and screwed the bottlecap back on. But they were laughing so hard that in the end he couldn't help but laugh along with them. "...You all have nothing better to do?"

Actually, before pulling his grades back up, Xie Yu had hesitated a little.

But he gradually came to realize that whether his grades were good or not—whether his grades pulled the class average down so low it made people want to shut their eyes and jump down from a high floor or pushed the class average '4.6 points higher' like now—this lot's attitude towards him didn't change much.

At first, he had wanted to beat them all up, but after a while he had more or less processed his feelings.

When Liu Cunhao came to look for He Zhao to ask him how to do a problem, he even laughed. "I really have to give in to you two. You really are the first of the big bros of our school... whether counting from the top or from the bottom."

"What does that mean? Is that praise or an insult?"

He Zhao was looking at the problem—Liu Cunhao had brought a question assigned by his home tutor—and he said, pen in hand, "I'll give you two minutes. Rephrase that statement."

Liu Cunhao now understood the meaning of 'what goes around comes around.' Before, he had acted like he had seen a ghost when He Zhao volunteered his homework for him to copy, but now he understood what He Zhao had meant by 'beyond your reach.'

He shut his eyes and started ass-licking. "You're awesome! A man among men! The pride of Erzhong! So how is this question solved?"

When Liu Cunhao was done, he heard He Zhao say, "There are a few ways to solve this. Do you want the short and blunt way or something a little more creative..."

"......"

Liu Cunhao thought, Big bro, spare me. I just want to solve the question.

Xie Yu couldn't take it any more. He plucked the exercise book straight out of He Zhao's hand. "Which question?"

Xie Yu did not waste a single word when explaining the question. His logic was clear and within a few sentences, Liu Cunhao seemed to have been struck by lightning and all his trains of thought suddenly ran clear.

He Zhao pointed to himself. "Did I explain so badly?"

Xie Yu retorted, "Badly or not... don't you already know?"

Liu Cunhao listened to the explanation, then looked up at the two of them quarrelling as they always did.

What he nearly said was: Whether counting from the top or from the bottom, you're still the two big bros we know—He Zhao, who took blame he didn't need to shoulder in order to protect a girl, and Xie Yu, who rolled up his sleeves without a word and went down to the basketball court.

From Class 3's point of view, what they thought of the two of them had long gone beyond grades. When class placements had first been announced, all they had known from rumors were that these two were school tyrants who intimidated everyone who heard of them, did every possible evil, and killed people without blinking.