Chapter 30: If I called you idiot would you answer

Shen Jie's and Wan Da's grades were evenly matched. They sat one in front of the other again for this exam, only, this time, their positions were reversed.

The two sat down according to their examination numbers. Their gazes met and held for a long while, then they smiled.

Shen Jie said, "Bro, you get it."

Wan Da said, "I do get it. To a good partnership."

After comparing their answers, the two started chatting up a storm via their cheat notes. They didn't finish their chat during the language exam, so they continued during the English exam.

When we're done here, wanna go get lunch?

Where should we go?

The cafeteria. Where else?

The cafeteria menu today is a little scary... invite Zhao-ge and the others along?

No choice, even if it's bad. Of course! Invite everyone. We weather the storms together.

Jie-ge, speaking of which, how long have you known Zhao-ge?

They had had a nice chat about lunch, but now Wan Da began to change the subject. Shen Jie opened the note, saw these words, and knew that Wan Da's busybody heart was like the weeds that wouldn't die even after being swept by wildfire. When the spring wind blew, it would sprout, again.

Shen Jie thought about it. He'd known He Zhao for close to three years.

When they met, dance games had been popular, and the streets were full of non-mainstream fashion. Shen Jie was quite the good kid at home, but out of doors, he went very wild and often went to internet cafes. He even had an online relationship with a girl who talked with emojis.

These illegal internet cafes were mostly hidden away in little nooks behind winding paths. After finding the sign, one needed to bend down, slip in, and push open a small door to find the world of underage non-mainstream youth.

For three bucks,¹ they could enjoy an hour of time online.

Enjoyment was enjoyment, but this particular internet cafe was quite risky, and got reported at the slightest provocation.

If the kids were unlucky and were caught by the police, their families would be notified to pick them up—an even graver offense than failing an exam.

Shen Jie remembered their encounter to this day. After he paid, he collected his number tag and wandered the entire hall looking for machine 6. Amidst the non-mainstream crowd whose bangs covered their eyes, he discovered someone with his head pillowed on his arms in front of a computer, sleeping.

A black and red sports jacket and very short hair. Near his ear, he'd very audaciously shaved the letter 'n' into his hair. Several cigarette stubs lay in the ashtray next to his hand.

Just from the view of his back, Shen Jie felt that this person's languid attitude was a little overbearing, and found him irritating on sight.

Computer number 5.

Computer number 6 was right next to the cool handsome guy.

Shen Jie carefully sat down. He pressed the on switch and discovered the person was lying on his mousepad. He tried to pull it out quietly, but ended up accidentally waking the guy.

The guy wore headphones that had already been on the verge of falling off. As he looked up, they slid down and hung around his neck.

"......" Damn, what a pretty face...