Chapter 25: Thrilling and joyous

He Zhao sunk into an emotional reverie and couldn't extricate himself. He had moved himself, but he hadn't moved the math teacher.

The math teacher corrected about half the homework, then asked the class rep to retrieve the set square from Class 5 so he could use it in class later. As he looked up he saw He Zhao using his workbook to shield his deskmate from the sun.

He put down the red pen. He didn't alert them directly; instead, he calmly watched them for a while. Other students noticed something wasn't right and followed his gaze.

"......"

This really was a scene full of love for a classmate.

So touching, it moved the sky and earth.

He Zhao considered switching the workbook for the textbook in order to provide more shade. While he deliberated, a tiny piece of white chalk flew from the podium and hit his head with perfect accuracy.

The chalk bounced off, landed on the ground, and leisurely rolled to a halt by the wastepaper bin.

The math teacher wasn't sure whether to be mad or to laugh. "The two of you in the last row, do you think I don't exist?"

On hearing this, He Zhao's hand slipped. The exercise book fell and landed right on Xie Yu's face.

Xie Yu was jolted awake.

He had only just fallen asleep and his mind was still foggy so soon after being woken up. He forgot that he was attending morning self-study. Without even opening his eyes, he cursed at He Zhao, "Do you want to die?"

Another piece of chalk came flying in their direction.

Wu Zheng had taught for nearly ten years and his chalk-throwing skills were honed to perfection. Students who shirked class or fell asleep were all awakened this way.

Every throw was perfectly accurate.

The effect was prominent, and it saved him time in class.

Xie Yu got hit twice before he figured out what was going on.

He Zhao dodged as he said, "Mr. Wu, I think we should all calm down..."

Calm down, my ass. Wu Zheng nearly cursed out loud but he tamped it down through sheer will. He didn't intend to keep talking nonsense with them and pointed at the doorway. "Get out. You both get out and calm down. You want to calm down, right? Calm down nice and good."

It was early in the morning, and Xie Yu hadn't gotten enough sleep. He and He Zhao leaned against the window outside Class 2.3.

The first class period was also math. Wu Zheng's temper was slow to cool and he made them wait until the class bell rang before they could return to their seats when the class bell rang. So, in between self-study and first period, they stood by the doorway like bellhops.

In the corridor, people came and went.

"While I can still control myself," Xie Yu said, "You'd better explain this."

He Zhao said, "I'm afraid that if I say it you'll be too moved."

Xie Yu really wasn't in a good mood. Since a young age, the philosophy he had cultivated was to avoid talking to idiots, and to just grab them and beat them up instead. He endured, then endured some more, then decided to give He Zhao one last chance. "Are you explaining or not?"

He Zhao hadn't even the chance to speak before Wan Da stuck his head out the window and tilted it. He said, "What a touching story with a tragic ending. Very impressive, Zhao-ge. You even blocked the sun for Yu-ge, but in the end, this poignant gesture touched only you alone."