Chapter 87: Were you that X?

Fang Xiaolei took the escalator up and stood at the exit. He had forgotten, for a moment, which direction to go.

Several years had passed and he had forgotten most of the things he couldn't let go of which had stuck in his heart at the time.

When his family and his homeroom teacher had advised him to quit school, instead of being angry, he had felt lost. After the twists and turns of the situation had calmed, he found that he had lost his sense of direction.

Although he had not gotten good grades in school and was not interested in studying, at least everyone there had had a common goal.

Now, suddenly out of his comfort zone, he couldn't get used to it.

The crowd thronged through the train station exit.

He stood in the flow of human traffic and suddenly remembered the first time he had met He Zhao.

At the time, they had only nodded to each other. School had only been in session a few days and they hadn't even memorized each other's names yet.

Not long after junior high started, He Zhao, as the class rep, had knocked on the door to turn in some forms. He was tall and good-looking, and even though Fang Xiaolei was currently standing there as punishment, he could not help taking a second look.

Fang Xiaolei and Lei Jun were the two problem students the teachers had the most trouble with. Especially Lei Jun, who had been a troublemaker since starting junior high and had joined a gang outside school. No matter what happened, they would suspect him first.

"I really didn't beat him up." Lei Jun stood to the side, frowning, repeating this for the third time. "Why would I beat him up for no reason? If I beat someone up, I'd admit it. I was with Erlei at an internet cafe then..."

His homeroom teacher banged on the table and said angrily, "—If it wasn't you, then who was it?"

"Sir."

Fang Xiaolei watched He Zhao put the forms on the desk and say, "It's not very good to say things like that, surely? I was around last Friday too. The internet cafe around the corner from school."

"What were you at an internet cafe for?" The homeroom teacher swallowed and tried to find an excuse for the top student. "To get studying materials?"

He Zhao replied truthfully, "Video games."

"......"

Fang Xiaolei wheeled his luggage forward another two steps. There were too many things he wanted to say, but all he said was, "Zhao-ge, let's find a time to meet up. There are some things I want to tell you."

After going out and placing the call, He Zhao returned and kept drinking. He reached for a third can but Xie Yu caught hold of the can in his hand.

"Just try and drink again."

He Zhao obediently let go.

Xu Qingqing and the other girls had picked sweet songs with slow and light accompaniments. Two or three such songs went by.

He Zhao steadied himself, then said, "Erlei is back."

Xie Yu had guessed something was up, but he hadn't expected it to be this. He said, "Mm," to indicate he was listening.

"He just called and asked to meet." He Zhao raised a hand to scratch his head. "I..."

He still was not quite sure how to face this.

Even though he had been trying, all this time, to walk forward.

When he had asked Erlei how he was, he had been terrified of hearing 'Not good.'