Chapter 40: "Big Bro Flirt"

"On this day of clear skies and good weather, we welcome you to Liyang Erzhong's 67th autumn sports meet. Students, the phrase 'holistic development' consists of values, intelligence, body, beauty, and hard work. The 'body' refers to one's physical condition."

The sports meet had not yet begun, but there definitely weren't enough seats in the stadium and everybody was currently moving chairs from the classrooms to the quad. The stairwells were jam-packed with people.

Dean 'DJ' Jiang's voice was currently reverberating through the school. "Physical training and a love for exercise represents the spirit of physical development. I know that in the day-to-day, everyone is busy with schoolwork, but today you can soar freely upon the quad and let your perspiration fly..."

"Why is it so crowded? Are you letting us pass or not?"

These male eagles that should have been soaring freely over the quad were currently all stuck in the stairwell entranceway. Not only the entranceway, but the entire corridor was full of the click-clack sounds of things being dragged. It was as congested as rush hour traffic, so packed that even water might not have been able to flow through the cracks.

Class 2.3 occupied the part of the corridor outside their own classroom, and the ones who couldn't squeeze out were still waiting in the classroom.

Wan Da had left his chair in the doorway and no one knew where he had gone. After several minutes, he returned, squeezing back out of the stream of people. "Damn it, the line goes from the fifth floor to the first floor. The building we were in last year is even worse. Collisions all along both the east and west buildings."

"Why are you being a busybody about unrelated things?! If you have so much free time you should have moved your chair downstairs." He Zhao dragged his own chair to the rear door of the classroom and, seeing the impressive sight outside, just gave up and sat down in the rear doorway. He said around the lollipop in his mouth, "Just wait. It'll probably be jammed for another ten minutes, at least."

As he finished, he turned back to Xie Yu. "Old Xie, come over?"

Xie Yu didn't move. He lay on his desk and said with his eyes closed, "Not going. Being squashed in a crowd is no fun."

"Help me put my number tag on. I can't reach my back." He Zhao held the number tag the gym rep had handed out earlier: a piece of cloth, slightly yellowed from many uses, with a 4-digit number on it. "Quickly. I'm the hope of the entire village."

Xie Yu didn't react.

He Zhao repeated himself, then Xie Yu sat up and said, "Wan Da, go help the hope of the entire village with his number tag."

Wan Da, who had been dragged into the conversation for no reason: "......"

Wan Da glanced left and then glanced right. He met He Zhao's eyes and found that, although Zhao-ge hadn't said a word, his silence spoke volumes. He could understand from He Zhao's face: Please read the room. I want my deskmate to help, so don't you dare come over and try.

So Wan Da turned around and pretended not to have heard. "Ah, why aren't they moving? How much longer is this jam going to last?"

Xie Yu: "......"

He Zhao mentally took note of Wan Da's contribution, then dragged the chair back and put the safety pins and the number tag on the desk. "Sorry to trouble you, little friend."

Xie Yu took the safety pin and seriously considered pricking him to death.

He Zhao sat facing the back of his chair, his back to Xie Yu. Wan Da stood in the doorway and shot him a complicated look. He Zhao smiled and even audaciously made a 'Yeah' gesture in the air.