Chapter 78: White button-downs

Wan Da was still recounting to the class the great contributions he had made, moving himself nearly to tears. For the sake of compiling this agenda, he had nearly died in Class 7, which had mobbed him the moment he walked in.

When He Zhao mentioned the black nail polish, Wan Da unsteadily backed away two paces. He caught hold of Liu Cunhao and said, "Damn, brothers, let's retreat. Quick."

Liu Cunhao nearly lost his footing, too. He jumped up into the air, flipping his chair as he did so. "...Retreat, retreat! Run, everyone!"

He Zhao noticed Xie Yu freeze up next to him. Xie Yu's hand, which had been toying with his until now, tickling his palm and catching hold of his fingers, now stilled. Xie Yu stood up, looked at him, and said, "Do you want to die?"

Everyone knew about Xie Yu and the black nail polish.

He was a figure of legend, someone dark and unknowable.

Although Liu Cunhao and the others were not aware of the details, Xie Yu had introduced himself on the first day of second year by saying he did not wear black nail polish. It certainly didn't seem like a happy topic for him.

"The two of them, really." Liu Cunhao and the others had safely retreated from the battleground and now ran around the classroom to the podium. After they caught their breaths, he said, "All they do is romp around."

Then Wan Da said, "Romping around is a good word for it."

Exactly. They were romping around.

Xie Yu was especially irritable before he woke up completely, but from their angle all they could see was He Zhao pinning Xie Yu against the wall, hands trapping Xie Yu's wrist.

He Zhao looked at him. "All right, I'm done. I was just joking."

Xie Yu didn't bother with words and immediately started a fight.

Luo Wenqiang shook his head. "How embarrassing."

Xu Qingqing said, "I can't even look."

Wan Da said, "It's... very gay."

He Zhao was very familiar with Xie Yu's temper. Xie Yu seemed harsh, but if he got his way he would calm down in less than three minutes. So He Zhao did just that and retreated, but then Xu Jing provoked Xie Yu again by saying, "Actually, I think that's quite a good idea..."

Unlike Class 7, who had picked a steady and down-to-earth song, Class 3's dance routine featured a song that was rather grim. Considering a few other things, Xu Jing concluded that a dark tone would suit their routine.

The more Xu Jing thought about it, the more she believed it would work.

Luo Wenqiang saw that they had stopped fighting and walked off the podium. "Jing-jing, are you serious? Jing-jing?"

Xie Yu was righting the chair with one hand and glanced at Xu Jing.

That look made a chill run up Xu Jing's spine.

Xu Jing really hadn't given up. The second day, she brought a bottle of nail polish but didn't dare pass it to the back row. She sat next to Xu Qingqing and asked nervously, "What do you think? What should I say so that Yu-ge will let me live?"

Xu Qingqing said as she collected homework, "I don't think there's any way to say it and live."

Xu Jing sighed in disappointment.

He Zhao came back to the classroom. When he passed the third row, he pulled two napkins from the stack Xu Jing had at the side of her desk, and cleaned his hands. He asked, "Arts rep, what is this?"