Chapter 72: I'll give you a three-question head start

God X sending a challenge in the public chat was really shocking and sent the chat into a frenzy. The future pillars of society, who held the hopes of their country, were all secretly sending messages while in class.

After a period of chaos, the chat finally calmed down.

[ConqueringPekingU]: Alright, I can't any more. Class is starting and I have to listen. Nothing must keep me from paying attention in class.

[985211]: I'm holding my phone right now. Every word I type makes me feel ashamed to face my school and my teachers. I've betrayed all their hopes for me. Goodbye. Chat after school.

[Ilovestudying]: This English class... this is the first time I'm looking at my phone in class since elementary school. I really feel guilty.

Right now, Xie Yu felt that he had dug a pit for himself while he wasn't quite awake, and now he had fallen into it and had to stay there.

The English teacher led the class in reading the new vocabulary words aloud. Then she asked them to pair up and read them again to familiarize themselves with the words, and turned to write the topic on the board.

While the classroom was filled with the sound of people reading out loud, Xie Yu turned off his phone and threw it back into his desk with a thud.

It was a muted sound and wasn't very noticeable.

He Zhao was at an important point in his game. Hearing the thud, he assumed the noise was keeping Xie Yu from sleeping, so he subconsciously reached out to cover Xie Yu's ears.

He kept fighting monsters one-handed, using one hand in place of two. He asked, "Too loud?"

Xie Yu was slumped on his desk. He Zhao's palm lay next to his ear, He Zhao's fingers gently threading through his hair. His voice was slightly muffled and sounded far away.

Xie Yu was about to say, "No, I'm not sleeping," but before the words left his mouth, they somehow turned into an, 'Mm,' of assent.

The skill board was split into two, and even though He Zhao had quick fingers he couldn't play properly with only one hand.

After the class had finished reading vocabulary, the classroom quieted down. He Zhao had forgotten where his hand was and Xie Yu forgot to remind him about it, too.

He Zhao often did tiny, unnoticeable things like that.

Like sunlight streaming in through the window, he quietly smoothed down all Xie Yu's feelings of frustration.

The English teacher finished writing down the topic, then summarized every paragraph. She split the board into several sections, put down the chalk, dusted off her hands, and said, "Are you finished reading? Now I'll call someone up..."

She glanced around the room and her gaze fell on the last row of seats.

She was speechless.

"You all are very touchy-feely, aren't you. Your love for your classmates can move the heavens and earth." After this bout of sarcasm, she tapped the table with the blackboard eraser, then called Xie Yu and He Zhao by name. "The two of you, get up. Stand up, stand properly. Read the chapter vocabulary words out loud. No one is to help them."

Xie Yu slowly stood up, opened his book, and said, "I can't read them."

Following the pronunciation guide, he deliberately read them wrong. It sounded terrible.

"All right, you can't. What were you doing while I was going over them? Now you say you can't?" She then looked over at Xie Yu's deskmate, who was flipping through his book. "He Zhao, you read it."