Chapter 84: Video chat, ge

The end-of-term exams, on the whole, were more difficult than those of previous years. The last few questions on the math paper, especially, were difficult to score points on, and there was basically no knowledge to pool together in the bad students' gathering grounds.

At first, the crib notes had flown through the classroom, but very quickly the drums quieted and the flags were taken down.

While the invigilating teacher's back was turned to look at the bookshelf in the corner, someone took the opportunity to start a whispered conversation. "No more notes?"

"What notes? None of us know how to do it."

"It's too hard. I'll remember the name of the person who created this paper! Wu Zheng!"

Complaints rang out from all directions. Xie Yu, pen in hand, had glanced over all the questions, then folded up the scratch paper on which he had written down all the right answers. Halfway through folding, he heard the idiot behind him agreeing with everyone else. "It's really difficult."

He Zhao hadn't done many questions and had put down his pen long ago. He sat in the corner, languorous. He wasn't wearing the school uniform. He propped up his chin on one hand then said to the student next to him, "I don't even understand the question."

"......" He's addicted to acting, isn't he?

Xie Yu soundlessly leaned back, stuck his hand beneath He Zhao's desk, then crooked his finger and tapped on the bottom of the desk. "Quit acting so hard."

Halfway through the exam, He Zhao had passed him a note on which were written two arrogant words: Too easy.

As they kept passing notes, the topic came around to what they were going to do over vacation.

Little friend, will you go home straight after this?

If not? Squeeze in your bed for another night?

That's not out of the question.

Get out.

It was a cloudy day and the dark clouds overhead seemed to weigh down the air. This was the last exam, and everyone was both tired and anxious.

Dean Jiang's broadcast was staticky. Usually, hearing his voice made everyone's head hurt but now it soothed their anxiety. "Ten minutes to the end of the exam. Students, please take note of the remaining time."

The invigilating teacher walked over, humming under his breath and glancing outside the window as he went.

This time it wasn't Old Tang invigilating. This teacher was rather lax and closed one eye to them passing answers during the exam. He probably thought that letting them copy answers and talk was fine; there wasn't much to copy among this lot, anyway.

Ten minutes passed quickly and the end-of-exam bell rang.

Xie Yu held his pen and looked at his exam paper in a daze. He had completed it so as to score under the passing grade.

Over the past few days, Madam Gu had called him every night. She was both worried about putting pressure on him but also couldn't help asking him how revision was going.

"Mom doesn't need you to get good grades. Just do your best. Or you'll be the one who regrets it in the future."

The footsteps of the invigilating teacher rang in Xie Yu's ears, but he also seemed to hear Madam Gu sighing, then steadying herself and saying, "What do you want to eat after you're done with exams? Remember to take everything you need with you..."

He Zhao tapped him on the back and passed his exam paper forward. Only then did Xie Yu put down his pen.

Xie Yu, still holding his own paper in his hand, felt an inexplicable frustration.