Chapter 71: The Interview

Lia verma, a young journalist of 32 years walked into the house of the former mayor of LA, Mrs Rosa Parks. She was dressed formally in a white shirt and black office skirt that reached upto her knees. She had a wristwatch which she looked upon to check the time.

It was noon, but pretty chilly. The cold breeze flew in, making the curtains twirl. Lia stared at the tea cup which was served to her. She didn't dare to think about anything at the moment. Her eyes portrayed her blank mind.

Mrs. Parks walked into the room with a walking cane, followed by the maids who would serve her the tea, and two guards with files in their hands.

She was too old. She had glasses now. The time when she met Lia for the first time, she looked like she was in her 40s but suddenly she looked fragile when she met her now. She took her slow steps to reach the couch and was helped being seated by her was-to-be-granddaughter-in-law.

"Hello, Mrs-" Lia tried to speak as the old lady asked the rest to leave, "I'm really honored that you finally let me see you. How are you doing these days?"

"You're kind, young lady," said she in a breaking voice, "I'm doing just fine. I've retired but I help the new mayor sometimes. And also, I give out speeches on political issues. To be honest, this doesn't feel like a life of retirement," she smiled through her wrinkles, "What about you? How old are you? What are you doing? Are you married yet?"

"I'm a 32 years old, journalist by profession and..." She faked a smile, "I'm not married."

"Ohho," said Mrs. Parks sadly, "I remember you were in college when I met you. Jacob brought you home to stay with us," she laughed sarcastically, "I wish I had known you better those days. So it all comes to my fault of not approving your relationship with him and the-" she almost broke down.

Lia quickly sat beside her to comfort her, "It's okay, Mrs. Parks, it's okay. I'm as depressed about it as you are."

"I hope you blame me for it," she cried.

"No! Why would I?"

She looked at her long flowy brown hair and calmed down. After a while she asked, "What's your name again?"

"L-Lia! It's Lia Verma," she said nervously.

"And...who's Arorhea Laghari?"

"Rhea?! She's...she's a friend," she smiled, wanting to talk more about her, "do you remember her?"

"I...remember her name," she finally took a sip of her tea, "after the accident, Mr. Wilson's daughter visited me. I asked her if she knew your name. She told me it was 'Arorhea Laghari'."

"WHA-"

She nodded.

"What do you mean? If I'm not wrong, it's Sabrina Wilson, isn't it? What did she do?!"

"I...come to think of it, I think she lied to me," she gasped.

Suddenly Lia grabbed her phone, "ma'am, would you please let me take your interview?"

"Haven't had one in a long time...but sure."

"Thank you very much!"

It took her around five minutes to set up her phone, mic and the lights that she was carrying with her all the way from her country. She let the sunlight play a role as well.

"Mrs. Parks, can you please tell us something about the accident of...J-Jacob Parks?"

She half smiled, "yes dear. That day was an important event for the family. It was Jacob's parents' sixteenth year death anniversary. We decided to walk to their tombstones for paying respect to them. It was very unfortunate that he was involved in a car accident because of me. I know he was just trying to save me-"