69

Harriet's POV

I have just arrived home after the four-hour-long train journey.

And let me give you some advice; don't make out with your ex who you're supposed to stay away from when you're going to be spending the next four hours on your own with your thoughts.

I open the front door and see all the lights are off.

Strange.

I turn and check to see Lilian's car isn't in the driveway.

Must still be at work.

Which is weird because it's seven o'clock, and she gets off at six. The office Lilian works at is only ten minutes away, so she should be off by now.

But at the same time, traffic is probably shit at this time of day.

I close the front door and lock it, before turning on the lights. I place my bag down by the door before walking over to the kitchen.

Might as well make her some dinner.

I wash my hands because public transport is disgusting.

I grab some ingredients from the fridge before I place them on the counter. I hear my phone buzz, and I pick it up assuming it was from Lilian.

Unknown

This is your last warning. Stay away.

The fuck?

Who on earth sent this?

Feeling a little unsettled being completely home alone right now, I decided I should Facetime Quinn. Because then I won't be alone. Spiritual at least.

But just as I'm about to press call on Quinn's contact, my phone starts ringing.

Unknown caller

I knew it probably wasn't the smartest thing to answer the phone since I was already scared. But then again, I'm not the smartest person.

I press accept and bring the phone up to my ear.

I half expect to hear some twelve-year-old scream 'boobs', but I most certainly didn't expect this.

"Hello, I'm calling from St Mary Hospital on behalf of Lilian Miller"

********

I quickly paid the Uber driver before running into the hospital. I go up to the front desk, and the lady gives me a weird look as I try to catch my breath.

"I'm here to see Lilian Miller" I mumble as I try to breathe normally, and the lady nods before typing away on her laptop.

"Relation?" The lady asks. "Stepmother" I tell her as I put a hand on my side to try to help the stitch I had in my side.

"Is your father here?" The woman asks and I shake my head. "Nah he's dead," I tell her bluntly as I start to breathe normally.

I look at her and see her looking at me weirdly, and I realise how blunt I was.

"Lilian Miller is my stepmother, and also my legal guardian. But I'm eighteen and have ID if you need it" I tell her and she sighs before shaking her head.

"Go to the elevator on your right and go to floor seven. Take a right and keep walking till you find room twenty" The woman tells me, and I thank her before speed walking to the elevator.