Safe

(Carisi's POV*)

Maya has been through hell and back and she is only 12. She finally had a break down two days ago, and I think she needed too. She has a lot on her shoulders and doesn't tell anybody anything.

I am sitting on the couch when I hear Maya cough. I look over towards her to see her waking up. Rollins, who is here next to me, also saw her stir. We got up and sat next to her.

"Maya?" I whispered knowing she wasn't fully awake yet. Then I realize she is having a dream. No, not a dream, a nightmare.

I place my hands on her arm and try to wake her up. On my first try I succeed. Her tired eyes open a little and she gives me a half-assed smile.

"Hey sunshine." Rollins said in her baby voice.

"Hey." She moaned.

"How ya felling?" Rollins asked.

"better." She replied. I watch as her pain builds up inside until I can't take it.

"Do you wanna talk?" I asked her.

"About what?"

"Maya, you went through a lot, don't let it build up inside you anymore. It's not healthy and I need you to be okay." I answered sympathetically.

"What's talking about it going to do?" She asked.

"Well, we can get you help. You can go to a shrink and talk to him." I reasoned.

"What's he going to do about it?" She asked.

"Well, If you are having a tough time, he helps you through it. What do you have against talking about it anyways?" I asked.

"Well, I have talked to people before about what happened in that house between me and father and nobody has ever cared!" She replied raising her voice and flaring her nostrils. She was becoming pissed off at me.

I raised one of my eyebrows confused.

"W-What do you mean?" I stuttered.

She looked down and I saw her becoming sad.

"I went to school about a year ago, it was the morning after..... um..... my father had... raped me... and when my teacher saw the bruises on my arms, he sent me to the counselor, and when I told him what had happened, he just sent me back to class." She replied.

I put my hand on her back.

"He knew what was going on and didn't do anything?" I couldn't believe it.

"Pretty much." she sighed.

"Does he still work at your school?" I asked.

"Umm, yea." She answered.

"Rollins, stay here with Maya, I will be back soon."" I said as I left. This man is going to pay for not telling anybody what happened to Maya. If he had, she might had been safe for a while now.