When It's Time

(Rafael Barba's POV*)

I don't think Maya likes the idea of testifying, or she doesn't mind it, but she definitely doesn't want the men who did this to be in the room. She looked scared when she left.

I go home and eat dinner in front of the TV. I turn to the news and there is a segment about Maya on it.

"Maya Thomas, a 12 year girl, who was abused and molested by her father many times, has to testify against three participants in these crimes. She will be going to trial tomorrow. We will not be able to enter the court room, but we will be filled in afterwards. This is Timothy Michaels with the channel 10 news." I turned the TV off.

Poor Maya, I don't want to put her through trial, but we need to put these people away. I will be there the whole time with her. Nobody will hurt her.

I walk to my room, put sheets on my bed, and climb under the covers. I fall asleep.

Maya is sitting in the court room at the stand. She looks nervous. I look over to see all three of the men sitting there smiling.

I hear a loud bang and look Maya. Her head is looking down and there is blood coming out a hole in her head. She was shot. I look at the men, and one of them is holding the gun. I scream.

I wake up in a cold sweat. I sit up and can't get her image out of my head. I look over at the clock and it says 2:30 a.m. on it.

I pick up my phone, I know it is late but I can't help myself.

I dial Carisi's number.

"Hello?" His tired scratchy voice answers after 6 rings.

"Hi, can you check on Maya for me?" I asked.

"What the hell? Why?" He replied.

"I just need to know she is okay." I hear him get up and check on her.

"She is fine." I hear him say.

"Okay good. Thank you."

"Yup. I never liked you." I hangs up. I roll my eyes and roll over. I fall asleep again and don't wake up for the rest of the night.