Pillow

(Carisi's POV*)

I got Maya into my car, this time in the front seat. I could tell she was startled by this man and even more worried that he shot Gabby.

When we arrived back at my house, she took a short shower to get Gabby's blood off of her, and then I did. When I got out, she was asleep on the couch. I went over to her and picked her up in my arms.

I carried her into her room. It bothers me that her father never picked her up in his arms or ever hugged her. But, I feel like I am filling in for him for all those years.

I placed her under her covers, and a drip of water fell onto her face. I wiped it off quickly because it looked like she was crying, and I hate seeing her in pain.

I left her room and went into mine across the hallway. I got under the blankets and watched an episode of 'The Slap', then turned the TV off and fell asleep.

No sooner that 2 hours later, I heard a scream from Maya's room. I ran to her room to see her sitting on the ground with her head in her hands shaking.

"Shh.. It was just a dream." I said as I hugged her. "Come on." I said because I don't think that she will have a nightmare if I am with her.

We walked into my bedroom and I lifted the Queen sized blanket up so that she could get under the blanket. I climbed in on the side near the door, and she was on the other as I looked at her.

"You can sleep in her tonight." I said. She shook her head, and slowly baked up. Then I realized what her father did when they shared the same bed. "It's okay, I won't touch you like that. I promise." I said as I placed a pillow in between me and her to make her feel safer.

She climbed in and got under the covers. I could tell she wasn't asleep, because she was still scared I might do something to her. It hurts to think she would think that. Doesn't she trust me?

But then again, all she has been through. I slowly fall asleep and so does she. If letting her sleep in my bed every night is what I have to do to get her to feel safe, then so be it. That is what will happen.

I want her to feel safe.