we'll stumble through heaven

⚠️by 𝙨𝙬𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙨𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚 on ao3

⚠️summary:

Louis likes to be a good boy for his alpha.

⚠️words: 6504

🤍🤍🤍

Louis knows how to anticipate an impending heat. In the past it had been harder for him to know what to look for; without a mate his body was perpetually confused and in a state of yearning for something he didn’t have and anticipating heats was a source of much frustration, both physically and emotionally.

Louis remembers the days of feeling itchy under his skin, feeling anxious with anticipating the utter lack of control he’d have over his body and the painful feeling of desperation he couldn’t shake. He remembers what it was like to feel constantly on edge, constantly afraid no matter how he wouldn’t admit it. Spending his heats with Alphas did the trick but none of them were his Alpha, none of them were able to fully satiate his body’s deep-seated yearning and Louis hated the feeling of never being quite fulfilled. It had been even worse on the rare occasions he'd had no one at all to help him through and had to suffer alone, anxious and fearful in his vulnerable state and utterly unable to find any relief.

Going through heats with a mate is endlessly better and Louis looks forward to it now; looks forward to how needy and clingy he feels. It’s no longer a source of anxiety for him, but instead comforting to want to be close to his Alpha, to have Harry near. Every part of his biology tells him to seek his mate, to stay close, to be touched and loved and wrapped up in Harry’s scent.

This morning is like that. Louis knows his heat is just around the corner, can tell by the calm he feels when Harry slips his arms back around Louis after having hit the snooze button on his alarm. Louis settles into the embrace, noses over Harry’s sharp collarbones and presses closer. He smells like Harry near constantly, but Louis relishes in getting Harry’s scent all over himself again especially this close to his heat. Louis nuzzles down along Harry’s chest, presses a kiss between Harry’s pecs before he wiggles closer to hide his face in against Harry’s armpit and take a slow, deep breath. Harry smells a bit like sleep-sweat, but mostly like warm, musky, delicious Alpha and Louis’ mouth waters a little bit at the scent.

“Stop, m’sleepin’,” Harry’s morning voice says from above him and Louis smiles, lets himself snuffle his face against Harry’s ribs once more to breathe him in before he cuddles into Harry properly again.

“Sorry,” Louis says quietly, presses a kiss to Harry’s shoulder. “Smell so good. Can’t help it,” Louis tells him. He can already tell that once Harry’s up and gone to work for the day Louis’ going to roll around in the sheets to get Harry’s scent all over himself properly. It’s comforting, is the thing. He knows his heat is approaching and the lack of control or good sense he has to face when it happens always makes him a little anxious, but surrounding himself with the scent of his mate makes the anticipation a little less worrisome.

Harry presses a kiss to Louis’ temple and nuzzles his soft hair gently, and Louis is calmed for a moment before Harry’s alarm sounds again and he rolls away from Louis to switch it off properly and push himself up to sit. Louis pouts momentarily but resorts to rolling onto his back to stretch, arches his back up off the bed and yawns softly as Harry goes about getting up for the day.

Louis knows Harry probably can’t sense Louis’ approaching heat just yet - he’s still a few days away and Louis knows his own scent probably won’t begin to change until just before it’s time. It’s a few days Louis’ always treasured since he and Harry mated officially. He knows what’s coming and he can’t help but to enjoy the needy desire he feels to be close to Harry. Harry never seems to mind anyway. He’s a good Alpha, happy to oblige Louis’ need for cuddles and touches.