10- 𝗗𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗹𝘆 𝗡𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗱𝗲

"I can't believe this is happening" Amara spoke, feeling a lump form in her throat as she stood outside the door.

The door which Natalia was being held in.

"Me neither, just stay composed- you've got this" Azaiah reassured her, his hands on her shoulders as their gazes met.

"Come with me?" Amara asked him and Azaiah just nodded.

"I'll be right beside you" Azaiah told her.

Amara just took a deep breath before looking at April, nodding her head to signal for her to open the door. They both walked through, and their hearts stopped as they looked in front of them.

Natalia was sat in a cell, shackled with chains to stop her from escaping. Her eyes were tired and bruises were scattered across her body, along with scars and cuts.

She didn't look like the Natalia they knew, yet she didn't look like an infamous assassin either.

"Natalia" Amara spoke, her voice quiet as she stood in front of the glass cage.

Amara didn't like to see it as a cage, but that's what it was- despite the fact it was Natalia in there.

Natalia made eye contact with her, her eyes piercing through hers, yet nothing left her mouth.

"We need you to tell us who you're working for" Azaiah spoke up, his voice firmer, yet Amara could sense he felt uncomfortable.

And again, nothing.

"Natalia, you need to cooperate with us" Amara told her.

Inside, she was begging her to answer. Just one simple answer and those people would be out of their way for good.

Why wouldn't she just answer?

"Natalia, please- just fucking answer me" Amara spoke, but there wasn't anger in her voice- only frustration.

Natalia's head tilted slightly as her eyes narrowed, fixating on Amara.

"Amara Romero, daughter of Xavier and Ara Romero. Leader of the Italian Mafia, murdered hundreds- including her own father."

Her voice was almost robotic, holding no emotion. She wasn't affected by the words leaving her mouth, she just did nothing.

"Natalia, come on-" Azaiah started but he was cut off.

"Azaiah Martinez, parents unknown. Former leader of the Italian Mafia, pushed aside like a piece of dirt by his ex-girlfriend."

Again, no emotion. Just empty words escaping her lips, but not empty for some.

"I can't do this" Azaiah mumbled under his breath before walking towards the door.

Amara just cursed under her breath before following after him, only to find him storming down the hallway.

"Azaiah, wait-" Amara started shouting after him, but he cut her off.

"Is that what you see me as? A piece of dirt you can just push to the side?" Azaiah asked and Amara walked towards him.

"Of course not, I-" Amara started but instead she cut herself off. The words that were going to leave her mouth were ones she knew shouldn't.

"I...respect you, Azaiah- someone just needed to step up" Amara told him and Azaiah just nodded, a stoic look on his face.

"Right, so there were no feelings in it?" Azaiah asked her and Amara felt a lump form in her throat.

Of course there were feelings in it. She loved Azaiah more than she'd ever loved anyone before- and part of her knew that she still did.