12- 𝗦𝗵𝗼𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗧𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗵𝘀

"Is it working?" Azaiah asked as Enzo was busy focusing on the new gadget he had been working on for the past few days.

He hadn't slept, instead spending every waking hour attempting to find some way to get Natalia's memories back- despite the cost. But he didn't care, he had more money than he needed and Maldonado Tech had more material than necessary.

"For fucks sake" Enzo mumbled as he completed the final step- but nothing.

He threw whatever object was in his hand across the room, not caring as it shattered against the wall. He had failed yet again and he wondered if he would ever be able to do anything right.

"It's alright, we'll find another wa-" Amara started but Enzo cut her off.

"How? This was the other way, Amara. This was the one out of hundreds of possibilities I thought would actually work- it's over."

Amara didn't want to believe him, she wanted to believe their was another way to get Natalia back. But she told herself that they wouldn't stop, at least she wouldn't- because Natalia would go to the ends of the Earth to get any of their memories back if she had to.

Amara just walked up to Enzo, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Have a break, Enzo- then we'll try again together" Amara told him, and by she included Azaiah in that.

However, as she turned around to face him, all she saw was the door shutting. Immediately, she removed her hand from Enzo's shoulder, realising what Azaiah thought he was seeing.

"You can go after him if you want, I need a minute to myself" Enzo told her and Amara only then realised her gaze had lingered on that door.

"This isn't over yet, I promise" Amara spoke, offering him a smile as he returned a weak one.

Amara then headed out the door, walking up the stairs to the ground floor only to find an empty hallway. She couldn't see him nor hear the echo of footsteps- only the click of heels.

"Amara, it's so good to see you!" Antoinette called out from behind Amara.

Amara just rolled her eyes, cursing under her breath before turning around, plastering a fake smile across her face.

"You too, but I thought you were busy with the preparations" Amara told her, not wanting the word wedding to leave her lips.

At the end of the day, it wasn't going to happen anymore. Not on her watch.

"My Father suggested I have a little time off to relax" Antoinette spoke, her brows furrowing in realisation as she looked at Amara.

"Why don't you come with me? I have a full spa day planned, you should come!"

Oh God. That was the last thing Amara wanted to do.

"I'm sorry, Antoinette, but I can't. I'm really busy at the moment, I hope you understand" Amara told her, trying to sound as kind and devastated as possible.

Amara could sense the defeated look on her face as she spoke, but she didn't feel sorry for her. She had practically begged her father to let them stay here, so much that if Amara disagreed she would have a gun pointed at her head.

"It's fine, I'll just have to go by myself" Antoinette spoke and Amara was about to say something but she was cut off.

"If you excuse me, I'm very busy myself" Antoinette continued as she walked past Amara, causing her eyes to widen in surprise.

It looks like Antoinette very rarely didn't get what she wanted.

Amara just walked the opposite way down the hallway, heading in no direction in particular. She figured she should just head to her office and sort out some small things.