38- 𝗧𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿

Natalia walked down the hallway, dreading what she was about to do. She bit down on her bottom lip out of nerves before taking deep breaths.

She knew she had to do it, she just didn't know how she'd be able to.

Natalia was about to tell Elias that she lost their baby, one he never knew about. She kept that from him and now she's telling him, seven years later when he's finally happy.

Nevertheless, she knocked on his door, hearing shuffling inside.

"Come in," Elias shouted after her, causing her to grip the handle, slowly turning it and opening the door.

As she walked in, her eyes met Elias', who was making their bed with Axel sat on the sofa, happily watching whatever animated show that was on the television.

"You do realise you don't have to knock, this is your room too, Natty," Elias reminded her and she nodded, chuckling and trying to hide how empty it was.

"I know, I guess it's just habit," Natalia replied, a nervous look on her face.

"What's wrong?" Elias asked her and Natalia swallowed the lump in her throat, looking towards Axel.

"Do you want to go through to your room and watch some more?" Natalia asked him and he nodded, a grin on his face as he rushed through to his room, throwing himself on the bed.

Natalia grabbed the remote, turning the television on and picking the same channel as it was on last. Immediately, Axel laughed at something on the screen, but it only made Natalia feel worse.

Natalia closed the door as she walked back into hers and Elias' room, seeing that Elias' concerned expression had only grown.

"Natty, what's wrong?" He repeated himself, voice slightly sterner this time but still full of concern.

"I have to tell you something," Natalia spoke, feeling her throat start to close up every time she tried to speak.

"What is it?" Elias asked, sitting on the edge of the bed with his eyes fixed on Natalia, but she didn't respond.

"You're scaring me, amore, what is it? I know you can't have cheated on me or-" Elias started, but a tear fell from her eye in the middle of his sentence.

She didn't cheat on him. She never would. But, in her mind, she cheated him out of having a child.

"I've got you," Elias spoke. Natalia didn't even realise she had fallen to her knees until Elias held her, allowing her to sob into his chest.

"I-I lost our baby."

Elias froze, looking down at Natalia with slightly parted lips, in shock of what he had just heard.

"T-the night I got kidnapped, I was pregnant. They experimented on me, a-and they killed our baby because of it. Because of me."

"No, don't ever say that, okay?" Elias told her, holding her tight towards him. "It's not your fault."

Natalia felt a slight piece of comfort in hearing those words, but she knew she had just destroyed whatever happiness he thought he had.

"It was our child, Elias," Natalia breathed, looking up at him with teary eyes.

As she did, she noticed the single tear falling down his cheek. He used the pad of his thumb to wipe away her tears, soothingly stroking her arm.

"Through that door, that's our child. That was our angel baby, and they'll always be looking over us, but we need to focus on our little boy. Our family may only have three beating hearts, but it has four that are deeply loved."