Chapter 1

I had just come from a job interview that didn't leave me feeling very confident whilst walking back out the office doors. Nobody is hiring in this market unless I want a minimum wage job which just couldn't cut it for me. Not if I wanted to pay tuition and rent.

I had promised my parents that I would find a job that would pay my way and they agreed that if I could find a job I could move with my boyfriend half way across America. I was meant to do that and then apply for schools, in that order.

        My boyfriend was in an off campus apartment but he swore it was against regulations to let me move in with him so technically my living situation was a little unorthodox. He knew a girl that dated his buddy who had a 'share house' type of situation where a bunch of people rented rooms out of apartments. I was living with three other people right now in a three bedroom apartment. Lucky two of them were dating and shared a room.

I was offered the smallest room in the house which left much to be desired but I had agreed because I really had nowhere else to go. I thought my boyfriend would take the step of moving in with me but he swore it was just because he had already paid his living situation with tuition and couldn't get the money back. I understood and so I live across town with three strangers.

        Walking down the city sidewalk I was dodging elbows and jogging across pedestrian walkways, because cars don't seem to stop in Boston. Neither do bicyclists and I learned that the hard way. One dang near killed me the other day on the other unsuccessful interview I went to.

While sidestepping a wide bodied individual on the sidewalk I noticed a homeless man with hunched shoulders trying to speak to each person that passed him. They walked by the man without even a glance his way. Like he didn't even exist.

When I got a few steps closer I could finally hear his pleas. "Please, spare a few dollars for a meal." I furrowed my brows and approached the man.

My interview outfit today was a pair of cream colored high rise trendy slacks with a white top tucked into it, and a pair of electric blue heels...that I borrowed from my roommate.

        I never carry a purse so I hold very minimal items. A bit of cash in my pocket and my phone with a clear case that holds my MBTA transit pass, license, and my flat spare key to the house. I don't even have a debit card.

I rummaged around in my pocket and pulled out a five and a few dollars. "I'm sorry, I don't have much. I need half to refill my pass for the bus...but please, have the rest" I held some crumpled bills in my hand offering it to the man. He looked surprised that I had noticed him before he noticed me.

        I looked at his worse for wear clothing and a layer of grime on his flesh and guilt filled me when I noticed he was looking around where we were in downtown Boston to see where he could spend the few dollars I gave.

"You know what" I called for his attention. People on the sidewalk were annoyed that we were standing in the middle of it but too bad. That's what they get for ignoring a man's pleas.
"I'll walk home. Please, take this. Find something to eat" I handed him the rest of what I had. The man looked incredibly grateful. It was something so sincere that passed through his eyes in that split second.

He was about to speak before we were suddenly interrupted by a man in the alley beside us.

"Give the girl her dollars back. This is my brother's restaurant, we'll find you something to eat" the other man offered, flicking his finished cigarette on the ground. I swallowed at the sight of him.

        Dark hair, dark lashes lining shaded blue eyes, and he wore a fitted suit perfectly tailored to his incredible body. The muscles can't be seen but the build is obvious. His lips look soft and pink but the voice that left his mouth was gruff and authoritative.