Chapter 35

I ended up having a lot of fun with the Revello men. Between the tanning, the drinking, the music Grace and I danced to once we got a little tipsy, and the good conversations and food I couldn't have had a better independence day. 

At sunset I took a few photos of the newly engaged couple and took some of my own. I was too embarrassed to ask Renzo to be in any, though he's in some of the more candid shots. 

I love sunsets and this was a beautiful one. The pinks and blues turned to a soft orange and yellow until the sky dimmed into nighttime. We popped champagne right before the fireworks and cheersed, then we stood on deck and watched the show. 

        The fireworks are huge and light up the sky in red's, blue's and every color you can imagine. There were the distant whirring sounds and then the light pop, pop, pop. The air was chillier and I had already changed back into the dress, but it was sheer material and not the warmest thing. The alcohol gave me a light buzz beneath my flesh, which warmed my cheeks pink and helped combat the breeze. 

"She's cold, go do ya thang" I heard Dante whisper, but not quietly enough. My heart just started pumping in my chest. Is he talking about me? Who is he talking to? Renzo?

I felt a body step closer to me, but they didn't touch me. I just felt his presence there and could almost feel the warmth of his skin radiating towards mine. My hair had been stretched into loose waves when it was wet, but now that it was drying it was set in more wild curls. Still I felt him there. 

"This is so pretty" Grace grinned wide and turned to me. I smiled back and let her squeeze my forearm in excitement. She is more tipsy than I am, and she's quite funny when she is.

         Watching Rocco stand behind her with his arms wrapped around her I wanted that. I'm always too shy and nervous, but with the alcohol I wasn't as bad. My heart still raced and there was a light tremble at the idea of asking Renzo to hold me, but I really wanted him to. 

I glanced back and saw it was him standing so close, I knew it was. "I'm cold, can I stand closer to you?" I asked him. Gosh, that made my gut flip. He seemed surprised that I asked, but gave me that short curt nod.

I took a step back, which pressed my back into his front, his firm chest against my shoulders. At first he didn't touch me, but after a few moments I felt his muscled arm reach around me. Just one, like he was my shawl. 

        I could smell the sun, the salt, and the soft cologne on his body, which made me melt right into him. I felt like I had gained everyone's attention on this boat for asking Renzo that question. I felt like some inside joke, and it made me self conscious and more nervous than I already am. 

I felt a little better when Renzo suddenly wrapped both his arms around me, pressing me closer to him and engulfing me in his warmth. Every nerve ending in my body was alert and needy for his touch. My insides fluttered and burned at the same time. How? 

Why does this happen with him? It's not like I wasn't super attracted to Val, it is what brought us together. I thought he was so handsome, and yet even in our most lovey dovey state I had never felt the rapture I feel inside myself when Renzo is around, when Renzo looks at me, when Renzo stands too close, when he whispers that I'm a good girl. 

I hope he can't feel my heartbeat from where his arms hug me.

        The fireworks were beautiful above head, but they felt like they ended so quickly. One moment I had an excuse for Renzo to hold me and the next it was time to go home. When he pulled away from me I shivered from the lack of body heat, and also from the neediness inside me that wanted to cling to him.