Chapter 85

Three minutes can last a lifetime when you fear the outcome at the end of it. I had waited for that stick to show me my future so decidedly. I sucked in a sharp breath when I finally looked down at the results. Not pregnant. Oh thank God, Allah, or the infinite source. Whoever it is, I thank you. 

All the fear that had gripped me all afternoon turned to sheer relief. I'm only a little late. Probably from the stress I've been under recently. Whatever the cause I know for sure now that it isn't a mini Renzo ready to spawn inside me. Renzo

What do I do about him now? I practically shoved him out the door myself, and I know I threw him off guard, but I know enough to know he won't just drop this. He'll want the final word. 

I don't know why out of all the emotions and reactions I was feeling that it was the crying that surfaced in me just after the relief. Maybe it's partly tears of relief, but a lot of it is confusion and stress and sadness. 

I don't want to address the Renzo issue because then it's over for real.

        I almost forgot its Wednesday, which means I have work tonight. There is a good chance Renzo might be stopping by. Who am I kidding?! I know he will come by. He didn't like how our last conversation ended, and he told me himself he was only leaving 'for now' because I told him if he respected me he would. 

Does he even respect me? His actions usually say otherwise, although I will acknowledge the fact that unlike Val, Renzo told me he was done before going off with other women.

-

        Fuoco Lento has always been an interesting piece to the Renzo and Kat puzzle. He did me the favor of giving me a job back when all this started. It's been a constant throughout the ups and downs of navigating Renzo Revello. 

I need this job, but it does also tie me to Renzo even when things are ending between us romantically. Eh, romantic isn't the word for it. When the physical aspect is ending. It feels too serious and too formal to start looking for jobs elsewhere. Because honestly Renzo doesn't even need to come to the club while I'm working, so there is no reason why he can't work in his office and I work in mine. I work under Raquel.

        Walking into work I never know what I'll be walking into sometimes. A hair emergency, a cat fight, or hype session. Someone laying on the ground or shaking their bum for no reason at all. Today I felt the warmth of a nice greeting. 

A few of the girls were standing around the entrance to the vanity room and all smiled and said hello at the same time. It's a much warmer reception than I used to get. Slowly over time I guess they are giving me less and less of that cold shoulder.

 Though, I'm not sure where things stand between Teagan and I. I understand that for her, she was doing what she thought was best for all of us. I know she did so without malice. It just could have ended a very different way than it had, and I wonder how she would've felt if Renzo got rid of me. 

It would have been her fault, and I think she came to understand the gravity of that. Besides, I forgave Renzo so quickly for his big scary secret. It's silly to hold a grudge against her longer than I even did my captor.

        Once I got behind my desk I fell into the natural groove of work. I made some calls and checked through receipts. It wasn't time to count drawers yet, so I had a minute to myself. I decided to go to the kitchen to say hello to the chef since he's kind and feeds me sometimes. 

By the time I was returning to my office door I clutched my chest when I realized I wasn't alone inside. "Renzo" I practically stumbled back. He'd been in the corner and I totally missed his frame.